Wasallaam,
Your sister,
K a r i m a

Saturday, April 16, 2005

The Muezzin Did Not Call Mr. Gates

The Bill-Gates-Converts-to-Islam hoax has been put to bed. Commenter "Hoax" at the Museum of Hoaxes (typos and scare quotes in the original) says:

     Sorry to dissapoint all "believers". But this is just First of Apirl Joke.
It was intended to be a joke for users in secularkuwait.org
http://www.secularkuwait.org/vb/showthread.php?t=2369
One of the members fabricated the the news item as a first of April joke, and of course, the members soon discovered it was just a joke.
Normally, it would just end at that, but some how, someone Muslim apparently copied the faked image somewhere and the hoax started.
And Muslims WANT to believe it, so the hoax spread. They even write about it in newspapers nowadays.
Since people don't check their references, there is no such newspaper or magazine known as "Anwar Tunis", it was just made up. The whole thing was intended as a joke, but muslims so helpless psychologically in this time are clinging to anything to might encourage their spirits. I, for one, feel pity for them.
Over and Out.
As a postscript, the next commenter in the thread says:
     thank allah
if bill gates covert to islam cause he get the right way to allah to baradis
to be the best in every things , money, authorty, life, muslim
thaks allah
hope that rommer be right
please reply when confirm that
Honestly, you can't make this stuff up.

Has Bill Gates Converted To Islam?
I got an email asking me if it's true that Bill Gates has converted to Islam. Seems like an odd question, but doing a google search uncovers that this rumor has been going around. Over at the Ultimate Bill Gates site you can find lots of people asking if the rumor is true (scroll down to the comments section), and the Gates of Vienna site reports getting lots of search-engine traffic from people searching for the phrase 'Bill Gates converts to Islam'. I think I've found the source of the rumor. Over at Iraqitek.com, someone posted a screenshot of an arabic-language website that supposedly has a story about Bill Gates' Islamic conversion. I don't know any Arabic, so I can't tell what the screenshot says, but assuming that the text in the screenshot does describe Gates' new-found beliefs, it must be the source of the rumor. However, I have no idea where the screenshot itself came from. Oh, and to answer the original question: No, Bill Gates has not converted to Islam.

image
Category:
Religion

Posted by Arabian  on  Wed Apr 13, 2005  at  05:15 AM

This hoax has been doing the rounds of Islamic forums for a month.
I'll try to translate the Arabic page you posted (I'm bored:- ))

Anwar Tunis No 213, Thusday 10 February 2005

At the center of shock and condemnation in the centers of American Science

THE EMPEROR OF WORLD COMPUTING AND SOFTWARE BILL GATES..CONVERTS TO ISLAM

al-Habib Sadiq al-Zeen- Washington

"I have gained everything..money..leadership..science but all my life I have been looking for something that's missing..this is the peace of mind I have found in Islam"

This is how Bill Gates started his speak in a party in his honour organized by the American society for the homeless and the
dispossessed RYACH in New York on the 5th of this month.

And this is how the emperor of computer building Bill Gates suprised those present with news that shocked them and stunned them all. And the American journal Christian Science Monitor, which broke the story, mentioned that with this speech Bill Gates put a stop to the speculation concerning his frequent repeated visits to American Muslims such as the American Muslim Louis Farhan.

The journal also asks: "Will Bill gates aim his future software to aid Islam?" The mentioned journal also notes that Gates
explained to its journalist that the attacks of 11 September 2001 were a turning point in his life, which made him turn his attention to the study of Islam and understanding Islamic thinkers which in turn convinced him that Islam was the religion he has been searching for.

Moreover, several scientific communities in the united states condemned the speech of Gates and the Eisenhower center for
software development in Chicago issued a statement in which the petitioners state that scientific progress in recent times was
nothing but the result of the separation of religion from science, hoping that this new direction of Gates does not affect the future production of software.

But will we as Muslims benefit from the conversion of an important identity such as Bill gates? We hope so..

Ali Khan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Salam!

Is there any truth on the news that BILL GATES reverted to Islam?   This news was quickly spreading in arabic. Can someone verify its authenticity?

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Children International
Would you give Hope to a Child in need?

· Click Here to meet a Girl