Got to read this piece - Muslims on the fringe

Reference: Muslims on the fringe by Salam Al-Marayati in Dallas
Morning News, Aug 19, 2005
Link:
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/viewpoints/sto
ries/DN-almarayati_19edi.ART.Dallas.Edition1.1ddc94ee.html

Europe's 'ghettos' are a warning to America: Integrate, don't
isolate, Muslim communities
Article posted below.

Birth of an Organization

I am pleased to announce the formation of an organization to
represent the silent majority (99.9%) of Muslims, who are moderate,
considerate, generous beings and great Citizens. All praise is to
the Lord.  Almost after a year, we are able to forge Muslims from
all denominations together: Sunni, Sufi, Shia, Ismaili, Druze,
Bohra, Al-Ibadhiyya and Ahmadiyya and other groups in to the fold.
We are further seeking to include Muslims of Indonesian, Malaysian,
Filipino, Vietnamese, Chinese, Russians, Japanese and Hispanic
origins into the fold.

We pledge to support all the organizations that are working to give
voice to the Silent Majority of Muslims, we are indeed committed to
complement the work of others. Our faith is deed based, and we are
striving to remain model Citizens of America. It is all about doing
good things. Our deeds would reflect our character. The good things
we were silently doing hitherto, we will let our friends know about
it as well. Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) once said if you plant and
nurture a tree it will give fruits to all, that is charity. He told
his associates that consider this act as a good deed.

American Muslim Forum

The Muslims of Dallas/ Fort Worth decided to formalize their efforts
to actively participate and positively contribute in every sphere of
American Life. "Whatever we do, it will be good for America and
every American." echoes one of the founding members of the
organization.

Mission :

As Muslim Americans, our Mission is to actively participate in all
spheres of American Life.

Guiding Principles:

As Muslims we aspire to live a life of service, integrity,
compassion and mercy modeled after the Islamic Principles.
As Americans we celebrate, uphold, protect and defend the values
enshrined in our constitution
We strongly believe that being American and Muslim is not only
compatible but it re-enforces the creed of "One nation under God,
with liberty and justice for all."
Goals:

To plan and encourage participation in every sphere of American
life, a few goals are set at this time:

1.               Serve in non-profit civic organization
2.               Develop community Leadership Programs
3.               Encourage social events and Friendship Dinners
4.               Encourage building good relations, particularly
with the media.
5.               Outreach programs

Membership:

· General Membership to all Muslims regardless of their traditions
or religious practices.
· Institutional Membership is open to all Islamic and Muslim
organizations.
· Corporate membership is available to organizations that support
and sponsor our events.
· Associate membership is open to any and all who believes and
supports our mission.

As a part of out reach program, the Muslim Communities of North
Texas, The American Muslim Forum and the Foundation for Pluralism
cordially invite you to the "Unity Day USA" on the 11th of September
2005, in order to commemorate the American tradition of peace and
harmony.

UNITY DAY USA - September 11

This day four years ago, on September 11, 2001, a great tragedy and
enormous suffering was brought to all of us, and it is on this day,
that we, the Muslims of America strive to foster healing and unity.
As Muslim Americans, we are committed to foster peace, prosperity
and the safety of our nation by  actively participating in a
positive way in all aspects of American life.

We are blessed in this endeavor with the support from people of all
faiths. They join us in sharing the power of prayer. We all pledge
allegiance to our nation under God with liberty and justice for
all.  On this day, we pray for unity, peace, harmony, and justice in
the world.  People of every faith, race, ethnicity, culture, and
every background are cordially invited to join us in these prayers
on this UNITY DAY.

As Americans we uphold, protect, defend and celebrate the values
enshrined in our constitution. We strongly believe that being
American and Muslim is complementary. Our faith reinforces the creed
of "One Nation under God, with liberty and justice for all."

Please mark your calendar for Sunday, September 11, 2005 between
5:00 and 7:00 PM, at the Frisco Convention Center, in Frisco, Texas:
www.UnityDayUSA.com  or www.FoundationForPluralism.com

Our next major project would be announced on  Sunday, September 11,
2005

God Bless the USA.

To participate - please send your profile to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Mike Ghouse
www.UnityDayUSA.com
www.Foundationforpluralism.com
www.AmericanMuslimForum.com (Begins from September 1, 2005)
3928 Brazos Drive
Carrollton, TX 75007
(214) 325-1916

Salam Al-Marayati: Muslims on the fringe
05:10 AM CDT on Friday, August 19, 2005

Reports that the culprits in last month's London terrorist attacks
were, in fact, homegrown British Muslim lads continue to reverberate
throughout the American Muslim community and are forcing Muslims to
focus on how to prevent such incidents in this country. It is clear
that the way to do this is to combat the Muslim-ghetto mentality
that is proliferating in Western countries these days. This has so
far been mostly a European phenomenon, but it could easily take root
here.
Associated Press
The mosque in the Hyde Park area of Leeds, where police searched for
evidence after the July 7 terrorist attacks in London

The word "ghetto" comes from the name of the island near Venice
where Italian Jews were made to live in the 16th century. A ghetto
is a section of a city occupied by a minority group whose people
live there largely because of social, economic or legal pressure.

Make no mistake: British Muslims are, by and large, living under
such conditions. And it should come as no surprise that residents
living in isolated, homogenous pockets - such as Leeds, where the
suspects resided - do not feel a sense of belonging to their nation
or the West. Social and economic isolation of minority communities
makes them more prone to political and religious radicalization.

Throughout Europe, cultural barriers separate Muslim ghettos from
mainstream society. In general, European Muslims belong to the
underclass. British Muslims are mostly Indo-Pakistani; French
Muslims are largely Algerian; Belgian Muslims are immigrants from
Morocco, etc.

In many of these countries where Muslim populations are largely
homogenous, the forces of isolation are stronger than the forces of
integration, partly because of the socioeconomic status of Muslim
communities throughout Europe and partly because of self-imposed
isolation.

In the United States, it has been a different picture and a
different reality. Because American Muslims are relatively more
educated and affluent than European Muslims, they are typically far
more interested in integrating into mainstream society. That
American Muslims do not have a "ghetto problem" may be one reason
U.S. officials consider al-Qaeda more of a threat in Europe than
within the United States.

But that doesn't mean some American Muslims don't find themselves on
the fringes of society. While social forces in Europe may alienate
Muslims, it is political forces in the United States that repel
many. Although the vast majority of American Muslims do not live in
economically depressed physical ghettos, many live in a
psychological ghetto caused by the lack of acceptance they feel from
their neighbors and colleagues, especially in the post-Sept. 11 era.
This psychological ghetto may prove the largest challenge in the war
on terrorism.

Those of the ghetto mentality experience a kind of self-righteous
schizophrenia. Outside home and the mosque, they abide by the rules
and work for their economic improvement. But elsewhere, they fall
prey to the extremist recruiters who present no more than a forgery
of Islam. As American Muslim leaders, our aim is to neutralize the
nexus of radical ideology with the ghetto mentality.

The challenge for all of us is to prevent the stigmatization of
people who feel disowned by mainstream America. This social ailment
should concern all of us Americans who want to see an end to the
evil of terrorism and who wish to pursue the ideals of pluralism. It
is both a law enforcement and a sociopolitical problem.

American Muslims can stem the tide of isolation by articulating a
message of Islam that is American-based, not Arab- or South Asian-
based. U.S. political leaders, from the president down to mayors,
can do more to isolate the terrorists by embracing mainstream
American Muslim communities, instead of isolating those communities
by excluding them from serious conversations about the security of
our country.

Muslim leaders in the United States, as in Britain, have established
a partnership with law enforcement. That partnership needs national
attention to illustrate that the walls of pluralism are impenetrable
to the ideologies of hate.
It is the turn of American Muslims, like other religious minorities
in the United States before them, to overcome stigmatization by
clearly demonstrating to all that America is home and that no foe,
domestic or foreign, will change that.

Salam Al-Marayati is executive director of the national Muslim
Public Affairs Council. His e-mail address is [EMAIL PROTECTED]

http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links