Assalamu aleikum.

>From the article below:

"THE US Army has fallen more than 8 per cent short of its recruitment
goal for the year, army officials said ... The army is responding in
part by increasing the percentage of prospective recruits with low
scores on aptitude tests who would be eligible for service, officials
said."

-

"One of the many fine things one has to admit is the way that the Army
has carried the American democratic ideal to its logical conclusion,
in the sense that not only do they prohibit discrimination on the
grounds of race, creed, and color, but also on the grounds of ability."
-Tom Lehrer, "It makes a fellow proud to be a soldier"

---

US Army short on recruits
>From correspondents in Washington
Agence France-Presse
October 04, 2005
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16809321-23109,00.html

THE US Army has fallen more than 8 per cent short of its recruitment
goal for the year, army officials said.

They acknowledged a setback for plans to enlarge a force strained by
combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The army is responding in
part by increasing the percentage of prospective recruits with low
scores on aptitude tests who would be eligible for service, officials
said.

"It does have an impact," General Richard Cody, the army's vice chief
of staff, said of the recruiting shortfall.

General Cody said the army ended the 2005 fiscal year September 30
with a little more than 73,000 new recruits, well short of its goal of
80,000 new recruits.

He said the shortfall means that the army would not be able to
increase in size to 502,000 as planned, and instead would lag about
492,000 to 493,000.

The increase was supposed to give the army a cushion as it buildt 10
new combat brigades and increased the size of its combat force by at
least 30,000 troops from 315,000.

General Cody said that even with the recruiting shortfall, the army
remained on track to build those new brigades.

But he said it would require moving more solders from the army
bureaucracy into combat units, something that he said needed to be
done anyway.

"There are many things to deal with this end-strength issue," he said.
"One of them is to rebalance what we have in the institutional army
and continue to move military spaces and faces from that into the
operational army."

Army Secretary Frances Harvey said at a separate press conference that
plans called for moving 40,000 soldiers from slots in the army
bureaucracy or service schools to the operational units by 2007.

On recruiting, the secretary said the army has decided to adopt
Defence Department quality standards that were less demanding than
those followed by the army.

The army required that 67 per cent of its new recruits score in the
top 50 percentile on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery
test, while the Defence Department set a lower 60 per cent level for
the services as a whole.

"The truth of the matter is, we opened up the aperture and said,
'Okay, we can declare success as long as we stay above or at what
DoD's goal was'," General Cody said, using the acronym for the
Department of Defence.

"That's to afford the recruiters out there a wider aperture to go after."

General Cody said the army met its quality goals this year, and he
insisted that maintaining the quality of the force remained a top
priority.

"We are not going to lower our standards," he said.

"We have a certain percentage that we will not go below for non-high
school diplomas. We closed out the year meeting all the floors we
wanted to meet in terms of quality."

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16809321-23109,00.html

Click here to rescue a little child from a life of poverty.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/rAWabB/gYnLAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links