Dear members of the list,

Assalamu Alaikum.I am sharing with you a letter I received from an officer working in Liberia and the reply I gave to him because this will help us understand the situation in many ex-colonial countries in Africa and South America.

I received this letter:

"Here the people are very poor. After the civil war of 14 yrs, the country is fully destroyed. They do not  have the basic need of life. They don’t have food, shelter, education, communication anything. You know, they take food only once in a day or may not take. You can buy a person here with some food only.

Though the new government is being formed. But the civil administration is not in a state to run the country. It will take a long time for them to get a shape. The Americans, only Allah knows what will be their punishment, just to collect rubber from here. They have created this situation and still maintaining it. You know Liberia is one of the largest producer of Rubber and again the 100% requirement of US rubber goes from here. They have compelled the people over here to get involved in two things WINE AND WOMEN (We call it two W).Its so pathetic."

In reply I wrote this short letter:

"Assalamu Alaikum. I am pained to learn about the conditions of Liberia.I pray for them.You all should do whatever you can, guide some educated people there the ways to get out of poverty and road to development. They have to do it themselves and you can show them the way."

Shah Abdul Hannan

Holy quran