Atrocious Entertainment
by Pieter J. Friedrich
03/29/06
http://pieterfriedrich.com/atrocious.html

"See those kids by the river/Drop some napalm/Watch
them quiver/Napalm sticks to kids" ~ U.S. Army cadence

It's a popularly accepted truth that art is an
expression of culture. American culture, then, is
obsessed with sadism. The movie theater has become our
Colosseum, the actor our gladiator. Blood is our
artistic medium of choice, the human body our canvas.
God's command to meditate on what is right, pure, and
lovely has been perverted by society to an implicit
command to meditate on whatever is evil, whatever is
polluted, and whatever is hideous.

Sadism commands top dollar at the box office these
days, according to an article in the latest issue of
Newsweek. Confirming what I've long suspected, the
article quotes horror magazine editor Tony Timpone,
"In 1990, I had to pull my hair out just to find a
movie to put on the cover. There were only three or
four major horror releases a year. Now there's three
or four a month. We're like pigs in slop."

Horror movies like Saw II, which was infamously
advertised by a movie poster representing the "II" as
a pair of severed fingers, dominate theaters. With the
public lust for blood snowballing, horror films have
increasingly abandoned suspense in favor of
no-holds-barred gore. As documented by Screen It,
scenes focusing on every cut and delighting in every
agony have become the norm.

For instance, the recent film Hostel, which beloved
faux-butcher Quentin Tarantino co-wrote, features a
scene in which a "sadist takes a power drill to a
victim." After showing one insertion, the camera
reportedly cuts to "the drill as its laid down with
flesh and blood in the bit. We then see the victim who
has bloody drill holes in various parts of his body."
I learned about this movie when a female Air Force
recruit told me she was looking forward to it,
particularly because Tarantino was signed onto the
project.

A prime example of the sadism offered by recent films
is Saw II, which was highly anticipated by many of my
peers. This movie contains such uplifting scenes as a
woman reaching into a suspended glass cage with
one-way openings, and being unable to remove her hands
upon discovering that such attempts result in the
bloody slicing of her wrists by the razor-sharp metal
surrounding the openings. Another scene shows a former
druggie tossed into a pit filled with used syringes
and forced to frantically dig through the needles in
search of a key. When I refused to see this film due
to its pointlessly violent content, several
acquaintances (all military recruits) pointed out that
the film contained a "great twist." Besides, they
argued, the torturer has moral reasons for his
actions. He tortures people to snap them out of an
unappreciative stupor and teach them to appreciate
life.

Other recent films include Cry Wolf, which tells the
graphic story of a trio trapped by a kidnapper intent
on torture, The Hills Have Eyes, which dwells on the
pleasant subject of cannibalism, and Underworld:
Evolution, which concentrates on multiple impalings
and vampiric incidents.

How does the public respond to all this? In the words
of one moviegoer quoted by Newsweek, "I liked it. I
just wish it was bloodier."

In what I believe is a direct result of a cinematic
glorification of torture, American war crimes have
literally become a laughing matter. Several months
ago, I overheard one young airman telling his sergeant
about the hilarious cadences he learned during his
training, including the notorious "Napalm Sticks to
Kids" chant. The sergeant, entertained, requested the
airman serenade him with some of these cadences. "See
those kids over by the lake? Drop some napalm, watch
them bake," crooned the airman, amusing the sergeant
to no end. After Saw II, which netted 29 times its
four million dollar production cost, featured a
favorably portrayed maniac offing a houseful of men
and women, it's hardly startling that nobody cares
that twelve Marines are currently accused of a My Lai
style mini-massacre.

While stateside audiences munch popcorn and revel in
the sight of an eyeball being cut from a woman's
skull, as portrayed in Hostel, is it any wonder that
each day reveals a new story about American troops
abusing Iraqis in one way or another? True, the Abu
Ghraib MPs confined themselves to techniques for
producing humiliation and mental distress, bypassing
outright "torture," but their motivation was to abuse
for time-killing giggles. Mistreatment became a
recreational sport, a form of diversion like you might
find in your friendly neighborhood theater.

Of course, the American occupation in Iraq has
produced more than perverted shenanigans. Aidan
Delgado, who was profiled in a New York Times article
after being discharged from the Army for conscientious
objection, says, "Guys in my unit, particularly the
younger guys, would drive by in their Humvee and
shatter bottles over the heads of Iraqi civilians
passing by. They'd keep a bunch of empty Coke bottles
in the Humvee to break over people's heads." Delgado
also says he "witnessed incidents in which an Army
sergeant lashed a group of children with a steel
Humvee antenna, and a Marine corporal planted a
vicious kick in the chest of a kid about 6 years old."
Hysterical, right? Why should American troops behave
any differently when the movies tell us our culture
approves of torture as entertainment?

War isn't the only place where the line between
fantasy and reality blurs these days, though.
Sacramento's News 10 reports that a "vampire" who once
ran for school board in my traditionally calm neck of
the woods was just arrested in Bolivia for bombing two
hotels. This American, Tristan Amero, styled himself
"Lestat Claudius de Orleans y Montevideo" after the
blood-sucking hero of Tom Cruise's horror film,
Interview With the Vampire. Then there are the
profoundly violent video games of the day, including
"Grand Theft Auto," which Alabaman Devin Moore played
"day and night for months," according to CBS News. The
game mainly focuses on the painstakingly detailed
killing of cops, an animated diversion Moore brought
to the real world last year when he murdered three
police officers.

Speaking of his victims, serial killer Ted Bundy said,
"You feel the last bit of breath leaving their body.
You're looking into their eyes. A person in that
situation is God!" Modern entertainment has given
audiences the ability to feel that power and indulge
that lust to be like God, with the silver screen
offering a shield to those uncomfortable with the idea
of literally sating their appetite for sadism. Yet
with Americans entranced by the perverse and willing
to spend ever more money for the pleasure of viewing
ultra-realistic simulations of torture, I imagine
we'll only see more real-life imitators. Already we
see savagery crossing the border of fantasy into the
realm of reality, particularly in the chaotic arena of
war.

http://pieterfriedrich.com/atrocious.html

http://mail.yahoo.com

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links