Assalamu aleikum.

Please note that 2 articles follow:

*Stand by Hicks, lawyer tells Brits
*Court dismisses British Govt's appeal against Hicks' citizenship

---

(1)

Stand by Hicks, lawyer tells Brits
AAP
April 12, 2006
http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18799447-29277,00.html

BRITAIN must stand by its opposition to Guantanamo Bay and work to
release David Hicks after a unanimous court ruling favoured the terror
suspect's citizenship claim, his American lawyer said today.

The British Court of Appeal today threw out an appeal by the country's
Home Office to deny Hicks British citizenship.

Major Michael Mori said his client, who has been imprisoned in the US
camp in Cuba for more than four years, would remain there for at least
several more months despite the decision.

"I'm sure the (British) Government will try to ask for appeal from
this decision to the House of Lords," Major Mori said.

However, he said this was less likely to be accepted given the
unanimous court decision.

"I just wish the British Government would get on with it and go down
to Guantanamo and formalise David's citizenship," Major Mori said.

Major Mori said Hicks would never renounce his Australian citizenship
and he did not believe a dual citizenship would harm his client.

"I think the British Government's position on Guantanamo bay and the
military commissions has been clear ... military commissions do not
meet international standards, Guantanamo should close, and I don't see
the British Government changing its position on Guantanamo Bay," he said.

"I hope that they will stick to their values and their position ...
and David Hicks will see the same benefits that every other British
national has received.

"There's only one UK and one Aussie national left (in Guantanamo Bay)
and that's David Hicks, and after over four years it's about time he
was reunited with his family and received justice."

He also said it was time the Australian Government reconsidered its
position on the matter.

"Over four years in confinement and I think it's about time to bring
him (Hicks) home," Major Mori said.

Unfortunately, waiting for the Australian Government to stand up for
the rights of one of its citizens in this case has taken far too long.

"It seems the Australian Government will take action to protect the
human rights of some Indonesian citizens but it won't take the action
to protect the rights of David Hicks," Major Mori said.

He said Hicks's legal team was awaiting a decision by the US Supreme
Court on the legality of the military commission Hicks is facing.

"Obviously, if the Supreme Court goes against commissions, the
commissions will stop."

Major Mori said the US had been hampering efforts by British embassy
staff to have access to Hicks.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,18799447-29277,00.html

---

(2)

Court dismisses British Govt's appeal against Hicks' citizenship
Kerry O'Brien
Australian Broadcasting Corporation
12/04/2006
http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2006/s1615227.htm

TV PROGRAM TRANSCRIPT

KERRY O'BRIEN: And in London, the Court of Appeal has delivered a
verdict in the David Hicks case less than an hour ago. The court has
dismissed the British Government's appeal against David Hicks'
eligibility for British citizenship which means David Hicks should now
be registered as a British citizen ultimately leading to his release
from Guantanamo Bay. David Hicks' US lawyer, Major Michael Mori is in
Australia and he joins me now from Adelaide, where he's been meeting
with family and supporters. Michael Mori, what happens now that the
British Government has lost this appeal?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI, DAVID HICKS' US LAWYER: I'm sure the government
will try to ask to appeal to this decision to the House of Lords and
will probably find out by the middle of June, it could be that late,
whether or not the House of Lords will accept their appeal or deny it.

KERRY O'BRIEN: What's the likelihood of that appeal being accepted? I
understand that if it's a unanimous verdict, as it has been with this
appeal, that that makes it less likely that the Lords may accept the
appeal?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: I think you're absolutely right. I think it's less
likely that the appeal will be accepted. I just wish the British
Government would get on with it and go down to Guantanamo and
formalise David's citizenship.

KERRY O'BRIEN: Even if he does get his British citizenship and
renounce his Australian citizenship, is there any guarantee that the
British Government would then request his release from Guantanamo and
repatriation to Britain?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: Did you say, "David renounce Australian citizenship"?

KERRY O'BRIEN: Well, it's been reported to help his case if he is
given British citizenship that he might now renounce his Australian
citizenship?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: Absolutely not. David will never renounce his
British - I mean his Australian citizenship. He's from Australia and
proud he's from Australia and proud of his family heritage in the UK
and he's proud to be a dual national and he just wants both of those
citizenship formalised.

KERRY O'BRIEN: Are you confident that dual nationality or dual
citizenship will not weaken his case with the British Government to
persuade them to go to America and ask for his release?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: I don't think so. I think the British Government's
position on Guantanamo Bay and the military commissions has been
cleared from the Prime Minister, Attorney General Lord Goldsmith, the
military commissions do not meet international legal standards.
Guantanamo should close and I don't see the British Government
changing its position on Guantanamo Bay.

KERRY O'BRIEN: You think it's out of the question that they could
change their position; that they have to be consistent with David
Hicks, as they have been with the nine British citizens already released?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: I think - Prime Minister Blair's recent visit to
Australia he expressed his opinion that it's all about values and part
of his value is that Guantanamo should close, and the value of a fair
trial, and the commission doesn't meet that. And I don't see the
values that he holds changing.

KERRY O'BRIEN: But of course then there's the question of whether
America would automatically accept any or accede to any British
request for David Hicks' release once he was granted citizenship?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: Absolutely. The United States Government is trying
to block it two ways. One, they're interfering with the US - the
access support the British Government embassy personnel to get to
Guantanamo to swear David in. The British Government acknowledge that
for several months they've been trying to gain access to David to
swear him in and formalise his citizenship. The US Government has been
blocking that. Then, of course, would the US Government stick to the
agreement they have with the UK: that they would not process any
British nationals through a military commission?

KERRY O'BRIEN: Can you recall or do you know how long it took the
diplomatic process between Britain and America before their nine
previous citizens were released from Guantanamo?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: Well, I think the negotiations between the US and
the UK, at least in the media it was reported that those negotiations
were going on in the second half of July and within a year they were
all released and the agreement was put in place that no British
national would face a military commission and they were all released.
Remember - two of the British nationals that were released were
designated by the US President to go to a military commission and yet
the UK were able to get them out.

KERRY O'BRIEN: So you're confident that if they ask, the Americans
will be forced to yield to British diplomatic pressure in the Hicks case?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: I hope that they will stick to their values and
their position on Guantanamo and the military commission not meeting
international legal standards and David Hicks will receive the same
benefits that every other British national has received - and, by the
way, all Australian nationals, as Mr Habib has been released. There is
only one UK and one Aussie national left, and that is David Hicks, and
after over four years it's about time he was reunited with his family
and received justice.

KERRY O'BRIEN: In the meantime, of course, you've said it could take
until June before it is clarified as to whether this could be a
further appeal to the House of Lords. In the meantime, there's also
the Guantanamo Bay test case before the American Supreme Court. What
is the status in that case and how might that affect David Hicks'
status as a Guantanamo Bay in-mate.

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: Yes, Sir. You know, we're waiting to see what the
Supreme Court of the United States will do. We expect a decision
mid-June, at the end of June. We're hoping that the Supreme Court will
find that the military commissions are unlawful. We're going to have
the wait and see.

Obviously, if the Supreme Court goes against commissions, the
commissions will stop and what I would be concerned with is the
decision leaves wiggle room for the US administration to try and
modify the system and it just prolongs David's detention again without
the trial. Now we're into the fifth year, the US had the opportunity
to do it right and failed for two-and-a-half years. It's about time
the Government of Australia reconsider the position now. Over four
years in confinement, and I think it's about time to bring him home.

KERRY O'BRIEN: So either way, either you are going to have to wait
either for the British system to work its way finally through the
appeals process, then for a diplomatic process between Britain and
America or alternatively, you could equally be waiting months before
the legal case if America is thought through. So either way, David
Hicks could still be in Guantanamo Bay for a significant number of months?

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: You're absolutely right. Unfortunately, waiting on
the Australian Government to stand up for the rights of one of its
citizens in this case has taken far too long. It seems the Australian
Government will take action to protect the rights of some Indonesian
citizens, but won't take the action to protect the rights of David Hicks.

KERRY O'BRIEN: Michael Mori, thank you for talking to me tonight.

MAJOR MICHAEL MORI: Thank you for having me, Sir.

http://www.abc.net.au/7.30/content/2006/s1615227.htm

http://us.click.yahoo.com/lMct6A/Vp3LAA/i1hLAA/TXWolB/TM

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.}
(Holy Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links