Nazmun Nahar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
From: "Nazmun Nahar" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 05:33:13 -0700
Subject: [wp] Abdullah Ibn Abbas-A student of the Prophet (SM)

*'ABDULLAH IBN 'ABBAS:*

*A STUDENT OF THE PROPHET*

*by Abdul Samad Parekh*

The companions of the Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) were people of strong belief in Allah (Most High) and the Last Day. Each companion had unique qualities and together they worked to spread Islam. One of these companions was 'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas. From an early age, he showed signs of remarkable wisdom in matters related to Islam, which earned him the title of "the learned man of the *Ummah* (global Muslim community)." He was the son of 'Abbas, Prophet Muhammad's (pbuh) uncle, and was born only three years before
the *Hijrah* (migration). He was thirteen when the Prophet (pbuh)
passed away. When 'Abdullah was born, his mother took him to the Prophet (pbuh), who put some of his saliva on 'Abdullah's tongue. This was the beginning of a close and intimate connection between 'Abbas and the Prophet (pbuh) that was to become a life-long relationship of love and devotion.

The Prophet (pbuh) would often draw 'Abdullah as a child close to him, pat him on the shoulder and pray: "O Lord, make him acquire a deep understanding of the religion of Islam and instruct him in the meaning and interpretation of things."

There were many occasions thereafter when the blessed Prophet (pbuh) would  repeat this prayer for his cousin, and soon 'Abdullah
ibn 'Abbas realized that his life was to be devoted to the pursuit of learning and knowledge.
'Abdullah narrated an incident about himself when the Prophet (pbuh), was going to perform *wudu* (ablution). 'Abdullah hurried to get water ready for him. The Prophet (pbuh) was pleased with what 'Abdullah was doing and as he was about to begin *salah* (prayer), the Prophet (pbuh) suggested that 'Abdullah should stand at his side. Despite the Prophet's suggestion, 'Abdullah stood behind him. When the salah was finished, the Prophet (pbuh) turned to him and said: "What prevented you from being at my side, O 'Abdullah?" 'Abdullah replied by saying, "You are too illustrious and too great in my eyes for me to stand side by side with you." Upon hearing this, the Prophet (pbuh) raised his hands and prayed: "O Lord, grant him wisdom."
The Prophet's (pbuh) prayer was granted indeed as 'Abdullah proved over and over again that he possessed knowledge beyond his years.

When 'Abdullah reached the age of maturity, he devoted himself to the
service of the Prophet (pbuh). He would run to fetch water for the Prophet (pbuh) when wanted to make wudu'. During salah, he would stand behind the Prophet (pbuh) in prayer and when the Prophet (pbuh) went on journeys or expeditions, 'Abdullah would follow him. In all these situations he was attentive and observant to whatever the Prophet (pbuh) said and did, and memorized the Prophet's (pbuh) sayings with diligence. In this way and through his constant researches later, 'Abdullah became one of the most knowledgeable companions of the Prophet (pbuh), preserving on behalf of
later generations of Muslims, the invaluable words of the Prophet (pbuh) of Allah Most High. In fact, it is said that he memorized about one thousand six hundred and sixty sayings of the Prophet (pbuh), which are recorded and authenticated in the collections of al-Bukhari and Muslim. Ibn 'Abbas's knowledge came with a dedicated and determined quest both during the Prophet's (pbuh) lifetime and after he passed away.

During the lifetime of the Prophet (pbuh), 'Abdullah would not miss any of his gatherings, and after the Prophet (pbuh) passed away, he would often go to as many companions as possible, especially those who knew the Prophet (pbuh) longer, and learn from them what the Prophet (pbuh) had taught them.
Whenever he heard that someone knew a *hadith* (saying of the Prophet, (pbuh), which he did not know, 'Abdullah would hurry to that companion and record it. He would subject whatever he heard to close scrutiny and check it against other reports. He would go to as many as thirty companions to verify a single matter.

It was not only the collection of hadith in which 'Abdullah specialized; he devoted himself to understanding a wide variety of other fields. As
'Abdullah's knowledge grew, he grew in stature. Masruq ibn al Ajda once remarked referring to 'Abdullah: "Whenever I saw ibn 'Abbas, I would say: He is the most handsome of men. When he spoke, I would say: He is the most eloquent of men. And when he held a conversation, I would say: He is the most knowledgeable of men.' Even 'Umar ibn al-Khattab, as the *Khalifah*(leader of the Islamic State), requested his advice on important matters of state and described him as "the young man of maturity."

Sa'ad ibn abi Waqqas described him with these words: "I have never seen someone who was quicker in understanding, who had more knowledge and greater wisdom than ibn 'Abbas. I have seen 'Umar summon him to discuss difficult problems in the presence of veterans of Badr from among the *Muhajirin*(Immigrants) and
*Ansar* (Helpers). Ibn 'Abbas would speak and 'Umar would not disregard what he had to say." 'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas was not content to accumulate knowledge. He felt he had a duty to the Ummah to educate those in search of knowledge and the general masses of the Muslim community. He began teaching and his house became a university with specialized areas of study, with the exception that there was only one teacher ­ 'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas himself.

The courageous 'Abdullah showed that he preferred peace over war, and logic to force and violence. However, 'Abdullah was not only known for his courage, his perceptive thought and his vast knowledge, but for his great generosity and hospitality. There were many occasions when his contemporaries commented on the vibrancy of his household. 'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas had a steadfast concern for people. He once said: "When I realize the importance of a verse of Allah's Book, I wish that all people should know what I know. When I hear of a Muslim ruler who deals equitably and rules justly, I am happy on his account and I pray for him."

'Abdullah ibn 'Abbas was constant in his devotions. He fasted regularly and often stayed up at night in prayer. He would weep profusely while praying and reciting verses dealing with death, resurrection and the life hereafter.
He passed away at the age of seventy-one in the city of Ta'if.
*(courtesy of
http://www.al-talib.com)*

ABDUL WAHID OSMAN BELAL

Open multiple messages at once with the all new Yahoo! Mail Beta. __._,_.___

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom (i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.} (Holy Quran-16:125)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all." [Muslim, Ahmad, Aboo Daawood, an-Nasaa'ee, at-Tirmidhee, Ibn Maajah]

Recommended:
http://www.islamonline.net
http://www.islam-guide.com
http://www.prophetmuhammadforall.org