Oprah's £20m school proves she's not all talk       By David Usborne in New
York       Published: 03 January 2007        Oprah Winfrey, the talk show star
and media mogul, likes to make friends  through generosity, famously once
giving every member of her studio audience a  free car to take home. Yesterday,
however, she celebrated giving of a slightly  less frivolous kind.
      Surrounded by American celebrities, Winfrey, listed as the richest black
person on the planet, presided over the opening of a school for disadvantaged
girls just outside Johannesburg, South    Africa, built with $40m (£20m) of her
own  money and set to begin classes on Friday.
      The Oprah Winfrey   Leadership Academy  will only be a small drop in the
ocean of educational challenges in South    Africa, where state schools are
bursting and  private schools are still largely white. For now it will
accommodate just 152  girls, aged between 11 and 13, handpicked byWinfrey, on a
22-acre site at Henley-on-Klip,  south of Johannesburg. Eventually  it will
have room for 450 girls.
      The ebullient Winfrey was not in modest mood as she described the
significance of the school, for her as much as for the students. Applauding her
 on the sidelines were the singers Tina Turner and Mariah Carey as well as the
actor Sidney Poitier and director Spike Lee.
      "When you educate a girl, you begin to change the face of a  nation," she
boldly declared. "I wanted to give this opportunity to  girls who had a light
so bright that not even poverty could dim that  light." Only families with
incomes under $700 a month could apply for  places.
      Responding to criticism that the school, complete with its own beauty
salon,  yoga studio and indoor and outdoor theatres, is too luxurious and
elitist - she  also picked the pleated-skirt uniforms and canteen china - she
responded:  "These girls deserve to be surrounded by beauty, and beauty does
inspire."
      The project arose from a pledge Winfrey first made six years ago to
former  president Nelson Mandela to help ease South    Africa's education
problems.
      Mr Mandela, 88, who interrupted his holiday to be at the ceremony, looked
 frail as he was helped on to the stage by his wife Graca Machel and Winfrey.
But he beamed with joy and pride. "It is my hope that this school will  become
the dream of every South African girl and they will study hard and  qualify for
the school one day," he said in a firm voice.
      Winfrey, who was raised mostly by her grandmother in rural poverty, said
:  "For me education has been the road to success. To me education is  freedom.
And I believe the future of this country, of Africa,  will depend upon the
leadership of its women. And that's not just feminist  rhetoric. It really is
the truth as I see it." Winfrey, who has donated  millions to educate
disadvantaged children in the US  through the Oprah Winfrey Scholars Program,
is also to open another school for  boys and girls in the province of
KwaZulu-Natal.
      Building the academy, Winfrey said, was also her way of helping South
Africa deal with HIV and Aids. "Girls  who are educated are less likely to get
HIV/Aids and in this country which has  such a pandemic, we have to begin to
change the pandemic."
      Lesego Tlhabanyane, 13, one of the girls at the ceremony preparing to
start  at the academy, said: "I would have had a completely different life if
this hadn't happened to me. Now I get to be treated like a movie star."