26288: No contradiction between the two aayahs

-----
(Go here for Reference & More Islamic Questions & Answers:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?vid=ISBN1861791542)
-----

Question:

How can we reconcile between these two aayahs (interpretation of the meanings):
"Verily, Allaah forgives not that partners should be set up with Him (in
worship), but He forgives except that (anything else) to whom He wills"
[al-Nisa' 4:48] and "And verily, I am indeed forgiving to him who repents,
believes (in My Oneness, and associates none in worship with Me) and does
righteous good deeds, and then remains constant in doing them (till his death)"
[Ta-Ha 20:82]

Is there any contradiction between them?

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah. There is no contradiction between them. The first aayah
refers to one who dies in shirk (associating others with Allaah) without having
repented from it. He will not be forgiven and his abode will be Hell, as Allaah
says (interpretation of the meanings):

"Verily, whosoever sets up partners (in worship) with Allaah, then Allaah has
forbidden Paradise to him, and the Fire will be his abode. And for the
Zaalimoon (polytheists and wrongdoers) there are no helpers" [al-Maa'idah 5:72]

"But if they had joined in worship others with Allaah, all that they used to do
would have been of no benefit to them" [al-An'aam 6:88]

And there are many similar aayahs. The second aayah _ "And verily, I am indeed
forgiving to him who repents, believes (in My Oneness, and associates none in
worship with Me) and does righteous good deeds, and then remains constant in
doing them (till his death)" [Ta-Ha 20:82 _ interpretation of the meaning] _
refers to those who repent.

Similarly Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): "Say: O `Ibaadi (My
slaves) who have transgressed against themselves (by committing evil deeds and
sins)! Despair not of the Mercy of Allaah, verily, Allaah forgives all sins.
Truly, He is OftForgiving, Most Merciful" [al-Zumar 39:53] The scholars are
agreed that this verse refers to those who have repented. And Allaah is the
Source of strength.

Majmoo' Fataawa wa Maqaalaat Mutanawwi'ah li Samaahat al-Shaykh Ibn Baaz (may
Allaah have mercy on him), 4/419
-----
(Go here for Reference & More Islamic Questions & Answers:
    http://books.google.co.uk/books?vid=ISBN1861791542)
-----

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.} (Holy
Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

Recommended:
http://www.ikhwanweb.com
http://www.islamonline.net
http://www.islam-guide.com
http://www.prophetmuhammadforall.org

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional