Aussie Muslims Deny Sacking Mufti

                        IslamOnline.net & Newspapers

                        "He is definitely one of the most knowledgeable, most
qualified in Australia," Patel said.

                  CAIRO - The Australian Federation of Islamic Councils (AFIC)
gainsaid on Sunday, April 8, reports of giving Australia's Mufti Sheikh Taj
el-Din al-Hilali the axe, reported The Australian.
                  "No, we haven't sacked the mufti... (Hilali) is still the
mufti," AFIC President Ikebal Patel told Sky News.

                  He confirmed that the salary of the Egyptian-born scholar had
been suspended for some time.

                  "The position of mufti itself is very much there and the ...
incumbent, while not being paid for the position, is still the holder of the
position."

                  Australian media earlier claimed that the AFIC had sacked
Hilali, who has held the title since 1988, and abolished the position of mufti
altogether.

                  Patel asserted that such a decision was up to the Australian
National Imams Council.

                  "If the position should remain, we are quite happy to be
guided by the National Council of Imams," he said.

                  After a day-long meeting on Sunday, March 25, in the Sydney
suburb of Lakemba, the council decided to reinstate al-Hilali as mufti and form
a 15-member executive council to consult more widely about who should be the
next mufti.

                  Muslims, estimated at 300,000, make up 1.5 percent of
Australia's population of 20 millions.

                  Guidelines

                  The AFIC president voiced confidence in Hilali, saying he is
the best man for the job.

                  "He is definitely one of the most knowledgeable, most
qualified in Australia," he said.

                  "I will probably be scoffed at when I say this, but he's
probably one of the most moderate of the imams in Australia, but he certainly
doesn't bring that out in his approaches with the media."

                  Yet, Patel said Hilali HHiwould require special assistance if
he is to remain in office.

                  ".if he wants to remain mufti then there would have to be
some very strict guidelines that would have to be placed," he said.

                  "He might need some resources in terms of having people who
can speak English (to) articulate his thoughts clearly, so there's no excuse
ever put forward that he was misrepresented."

                  Late last year, Hilali made international headlines for
likening immodestly dressed women to "uncovered meat" that might invite rapists.

                  Cindy Taylor, a woman who had twice been raped, had defended
Hilali, saying he had not intended to justify rape by his comparison.

                  "He's a wonderful man and his analogy certainly did not
justify the act of rape," she said.

                  The non-Muslim Anglo-Saxon parents of the man married to
Hilali's daughter also defended him after remarks on Australia's convict
ancestors.

                  "We know what he means and we don't believe he deliberately
meant to offend anyone," said Brian Tocock.

                  "We know that the mufti loves this country but we can
understand how people can be offended by his comments," he added.

                  "He is a lovely man who has helped so many people in his
community," agreed his wife Christine.

                        Related Links

                                a.. Aussie Imams Reinstate mufti, Gov't Irked
                                b.. Australia's Anti-Mufti Hysteria Draws Fire
                                c.. "Rape Victim" Defends Aussie Mufti
                                d.. Aussie Imams Urged to be Firefighters
                                e.. Aussie Muslims Plan Open-for-all Party

                        Top Stories

                                a.. Selling Iran Stories Sparks Furor in UK
                                a.. Sectarian Clashes Plague N. Pakistan
                                a.. Britons Damn Blair's Bleak Tenure
                                a.. Iraq Christians Mark Grim Easter
                                a.. Aussie Muslims Deny Sacking Mufti
                                a.. AU Backs Sudan on Darfur Force