-----
Taken from the book "Islam: Questions and Answers - The Quran and Its Sciences"
Click here to read from it: http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN1861791542
-----

21916: The last soorah of the Qur'aan to be revealed

Question:

What the last soorah of the Qur'aan to be revealed.

Answer:

Praise be to Allaah.

The last soorah of the Qur'aan to be revealed was Soorat al-Nasr ("When there
comes the Help of Allaah (to you, O Muhammad against your enemies) and the
Conquest (of Makkah)" [al-Nasr 110:1 _ interpretation of the meaning]). This is
the view of Ibn `Abbaas (may Allaah be pleased with him). Muslim (3024)
narrated that `Ubayd-Allaah ibn `Abd-Allaah ibn `Utbah said: "Ibn `Abbaas said
to me, `Do you know the last soorah of the Qur'aan that was revealed in full?'
I said, `Yes, "When there comes the Help of Allaah (to you, O Muhammad against
your enemies) and the Conquest (of Makkah)" [al-Nasr 110:1 _ interpretation of
the meaning]].' He said, `You have spoken the truth.'"

This is supported by the saheeh report from `Umar and Ibn `Abbaas (may Allaah
be pleased with them both) that this soorah was a sign that the death of the
Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was approaching.

Al-Bukhaari (4970) narrated that Ibn `Abbaas said: "`'Umar used to make me sit
with the elderly men who had fought in the Battle of Badr. Some of them felt it
(did not like that) and said to `Umar `Why do you bring in this boy to sit with
us when we have sons like him?' `Umar said, `Because of what you know of his
position (i.e. his religious knowledge.)' One day `Umar called me and made me
sit in the gathering of those people; and I think that he called me just to
show them (my religious knowledge). `Umar then asked them (in my presence).
`What do you say about the interpretation of the verse in which Allaah says
(interpretation of the meaning):

"When there comes the Help of Allaah (to you, O Muhammad against your enemies)
and the Conquest (of Makkah)."

[al-Nasr 110:1]?'

Some of them said, `We are ordered to praise Allaah and ask for His forgiveness
when Allaah's Help comes to us and we prevail (over our enemies).' Some others
kept quiet and did not say anything. On that, `Umar asked me, `Do you say the
same, O Ibn `Abbas?' I said, `No.' He said, `What do you say then?' I said,
`That is the sign of the death of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings
of Allaah be upon him) which Allah informed him of. Allaah said (interpretation
of the meaning):

"When there comes the Help of Allaah (to you, O Muhammad against your enemies)
and the Conquest (of Makkah).

And you see that the people enter Allaah's religion (Islam) in crowds.

So glorify the Praises of your Lord, and ask His forgiveness. Verily, He is the
One Who accepts the repentance and Who forgives"

[al-Nasr 110:1-3]

At that `Umar said, `I do not know anything about it other than what you have
said.'"

Al-Baraa' ibn `Aazib (may Allaah be pleased with him) said that the last soorah
to be revealed was Baraa'ah (al-Tawbah).

Al-Bukhaari (4329) and Muslim (1618) narrated that al-Baraa' ibn `Aazib said:
"The last soorah to be revealed was Baraa'ah, and the last verse to be revealed
was (interpretation of the meaning):

`They ask you for a legal verdict. Say: "Allaah directs (thus) about AlKalaalah
(those who leave neither descendants nor ascendants as heirs)'

[al-Nisa' 4:176]

`Aa'ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: "The last soorah to be
revealed was al-Maa'idah."

Ahmad (25588) narrated that Jubayr ibn Nufayr said: "I entered upon `Aa'ishah
and she said, `Do you read Soorat al-Maa'idah?' I said, `Yes.' She said, `It is
the last soorah to be revealed, so whatever you find in it of halaal, accept it
as halaal, and whatever you find in it of haraam, accept it as haraam.' I asked
her about the attitude of the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of
Allaah be upon him), and she said, `The Qur'aan.'" This hadeeth was classed as
saheeh by Shu'ayb al-Arna'oot in Tahqeeq al-Musannad.

There is no proven hadeeth from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be
upon him) which states which was the last soorah of the Qur'aan to be revealed.
This is why the Sahaabah differed and each of them said what his ijtihaad led
him to.

Al-Bayhaqi (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: The differing opinions may be
reconciled by noting that each of them replied according to the knowledge that
he had. This was quoted from him by al-Mubaarakfoori in Tuhfat al-Ahwadhi.

And Allaah knows best.

-----
Taken from the book "Islam: Questions and Answers - The Quran and Its Sciences"
Click here to read from it: http://books.google.com/books?vid=ISBN1861791542
-----

{Invite (mankind, O Muhammad ) to the Way of your Lord (i.e. Islam) with wisdom
(i.e. with the Divine Inspiration and the Qur'an) and fair preaching, and argue
with them in a way that is better. Truly, your Lord knows best who has gone
astray from His Path, and He is the Best Aware of those who are guided.} (Holy
Quran-16:125)

{And who is better in speech than he who [says: "My Lord is Allah (believes in
His Oneness)," and then stands straight (acts upon His Order), and] invites
(men) to Allah's (Islamic Monotheism), and does righteous deeds, and says: "I
am one of the Muslims."} (Holy Quran-41:33)

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "By Allah, if
Allah guides one person by you, it is better for you than the best types of
camels." [al-Bukhaaree, Muslim]

The prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him)  also said, "Whoever
calls to guidance will have a reward similar to the reward of the one who
follows him, without the reward of either of them being lessened at all."

Recommended:
http://www.ikhwanweb.com
http://www.islamonline.net
http://www.islam-guide.com
http://www.prophetmuhammadforall.org

All views expressed herein belong to the individuals concerned and do not in
any way reflect the official views of IslamCity unless sanctioned or approved
otherwise.

If your mailbox clogged with mails from IslamCity, you may wish to get a daily
digest of emails by logging-on to http://www.yahoogroups.com to change your
mail delivery settings or email the moderators at [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the
title "change to daily digest".
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional