Islamic Development Bank President’s Visit

IDB president Dr. Ahmad had a busy and successful visit of Bangladesh.In this
visit apart from the government program, he attended the Annual General meeting
of the the Islami Bangladesh Limited of which the Islamic Development Bank is a
sponsor share-holder. He addressed the AGM and expressed his satisfaction of
the micro-finance  operation of IBBL in nine thousand villages and expressed
his desire to make the IBBL program as a model for the Muslim world with
suitable adjustments in their ten billion dollar poverty reduction program in
their member-countries.. He also in the evening addressed the village women
leaders of IBBL micro-finance program  where women leaders of Muslim and Hindu
communities expressed their experience with IBBL micro-finance program (Rural
Development Scheme).

The IDB president signed three agreements were signed between the government of
Bangladesh and the IDB following a meeting between the finance adviser, AB
Mirza Azizul Islam, and the visiting IDB president, Ahmad Mohamed Ali, at
Sher-e-Bangla Nagar in Dhaka on Friday. The secretary of economic relations
division, Mohammad Aminul Islam Bhuiyan, and the IDB president signed the
agreements on behalf of the Bangladesh government and the IDB respectively. The
finance adviser was present on the occasion.
.
   Earlier, the finance adviser and the IDB president discussed matters of
mutual interest particularly strengthening IDB cooperation in areas like
agriculture, education, health, rural infrastructure, power and support
Bangladesh Petroleum Corporation for importing crude oil and petroleum
products.  Ahmad Mohammad Ali assured the finance adviser of IDB's further
cooperation in the coming years. The IDB president also assured the Bangladesh
government of providing assistance for rehabilitation of the flood-hit people
in Bangladesh and sending a mission soon for making an assessment of damage
caused by the floods.

We are happy at this successful visit of IDB president.It will increase
bi-lateral co-operation between Bangladesh and IDB.We are also happy that IDB
considers IBBL micro finance model as the basis for its shariah-compliant model
for its member countries. We know that IDB wants to integrate waqf and Zakat
with micro finance. This is very much possible as has been discussed in various
conferences organized by Muslim Aid, UK and Islamic Economics Research Bureau,
Dhaka.We hope ten billion dollar IDB fund would be used in the best possible
manner.