Bismillahir Rahmaan Nir Rahim
17 Shawwaal 1428 / 29 October 2007

Respect for the Words of Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam

Faqih Abu Ibraaheem Rahimahullah a Muslim scholar was greatly respected by
An-Naasir and his son Al-Hakam, two of the rulers of Muslim Spain. Ibn Mafraj
mentions an interesting incident regarding the Faqih:

"I used to remain in the company of Faqih Abu Ibraaheem together with others to
learn about Hadith and Fiqh from him. One day I was in his gathering of
students in Masjid Abu Uthmaan, which was close to the palace of Qurtuba. The
Masjid was close to his house and he performed Salaah there. The gathering was
held between two salahs and was packed with students, when a messenger arrived
from the Khalif Al-Hakam. He greeted and said : 'Faqih, come at once! The
Ameerul Mu'mineen is waiting for you and calls you urgently regarding an
important matter.'

The Faqih replied : 'To hear is to obey the Ameerul Mu'mineen. But there is no
haste. Return to him and say that you found me in the house of Allah Ta'ala and
I have students around me to whom I am narrating the hadith of Nabi Sallallahu
Alaihi Wasallam. I am prevented from leaving this gathering until I have
completed the lesson for the pleasure and obedience of Allah. This is presently
more important than going to him. When the matter for which these sincere and
dedicated students have gathered is completed I will present myself if Allah
wills." The Faqih then continued with his lesson.

The messenger left annoyed, but having conveyed the message he returned shortly
thereafter and said : "I conveyed your message to the Ameerul Mu'mineen in the
very same words you had uttered to me. He listened intently and says : 'May
Allah reward you well for your sacrifice regarding the deen, the Ameerul
Mu'mineen and the Muslim Ummah. May they benefit from you.' Once you are done
you should proceed directly to him. I have been commanded to remain with you
until you have completed your lesson and you should then accompany me."

"Excellent," replied the Faqih, "but I am too weak to walk to the Door of
Saddah and to mount a conveyance is too difficult for me due to my old age and
weak body. The Door of Sanaa'ah is closer to the doors of the sacred palace. If
the Ameerul Mu'mineen would allow this door to be opened so that I may enter
through it, this would be easier for me. I would prefer if you would go back to
him and convey this message of mine and see what he thinks. You should then
return to me. I regard you as a good young man, so hasten towards this good
action."

The messenger left and returned after a while and said : "O Faqih, the Ameerul
Mu'mineen has acceded to your request. He has ordered that that the Door of
Sanaa'ah be opened for you. I have come to you from this door now. I have been
instructed to remain with you and to remind you to hasten as soon as you have
completed the lesson."

The messenger sat down close-by until he had completed his lesson with complete
ease and comfort, as was his habit. When the students had left, the Faqih first
went to his house to tend to something and then proceeded to Khalif Al-Hakam.
He entered through the Door of Sanaa'ah, fulfilled the request of Al-Hakam and
returned though the door he had entered. The door was again locked after the
Faqih had left.

Ibn Mafraj explained : 'After we had left the gathering of the Faqih that
night, we decided to pass by the door that the Faqih was to enter through so
that we could see what the Khalif had prepared for him. We found the door open
and surrounded by servants and people anxiously sweeping and laying down
carpets in preparation for Faqih Abu Ibraaheem. This was amazing to us and for
long thereafter did we discuss this incident.' "

Lesson

This was the respect of the Faqih for the blessed words of Nabi Sallallahu
Alaihi Wasallam. He did not allow any disruptions, even from the ruler of the
time. It is also narrated about Imam Maalik Rahimahullah that he was bitten
sixteen times by a scorpion one day while narrating hadith to his students. His
facial complexion changed but he did not stop. Ibnul Mubarak, his student asked
him why. He replied : "I endured the pain patiently out of respect for the
hadith of Nabi Sallallahu Alaihi Wasallam." (Faidhul Qadeer)