*More Muslim Girls Wear Scarf in Games*

*By JEFF KAROUB, Associated Press Writer Sat Dec 15, **1:57 PM ET** *

*http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071215/ap_on_re_us/hijab_on_the_hardcourt*

DEARBORN, Mich. - *Dewnya Bakri loves her faith — and the feeling of sinking
a three-pointer. For much of her life, the 20-year-old Muslim has found a
way to balance practicing Islam and playing basketball, including wearing a
head scarf and long pants on the hardcourt, even if it**'**s meant taunts as
she blazed trails on her middle school, high school and college teams.*

Now a college senior at University of Michigan-Dearborn preparing for law
school, she spends free time coaching Muslim girls and sharing what she
experienced in Dearborn, home of at least 40 mosques, to help give them the
confidence to follow in her footsteps.

As more covered Muslim girls take up competitive sports, Bakri and others
say it's time to get beyond merely allowing the hijab — the traditional
Muslim head scarf worn for modesty — and help those wearing them feel
welcome.

*"It**'**s not like accommodating for one person anymore, it**'**s a group,"
Bakri says.*

Experts and advocates say the number of Muslim girls wearing the hijab on
the court, track or field is rising because girls are growing more
comfortable pursuing mainstream activities while maintaining religious
traditions.

"They don't see the barriers," said Edina Lekovic, spokeswoman for the Los
Angeles-based Muslim Public Affairs Council. "They take it for granted they
can play in competitive sports ... and work out the clothing issues at the
same time."

*Even so, Bakri and current players at her former school, Fordson High,
players say they**'**ve heard trash-talk that goes beyond the usual on-court
chatter — calling them terrorists, telling them to go back to their own
country. Bakri said some coaches and referees have questioned whether she
could play in a scarf and sweat pants, relenting only when her coach
produced a letter from the Michigan High School Athletic
Associationallowing the uniform modification.
*

More recently, she said referees wouldn't let her play in one out-of-state
college tournament. The coach told her later that it was because of her
uniform modification. That was reminiscent of a case in February when an
11-year-old Muslim girl was pulled off the field in a soccer tournament in
Quebec because she refused to remove her head scarf. The Quebec Soccer
Federation backed the decision, saying rules forbid wearing anything that
could cause harm during a game.

In the U.S., the National Federation of State High School
Associations'rules say state associations may allow a player to
participate while wearing
a head covering for religious reasons as long as it isn't dangerous to
another player and unlikely to come off during play. The rule-making
federation also allows pants, shorts or skirts.

School districts in Michigan must ask state high school athletic officials
for permission to modify uniform requirements. They always grant the
district's requests, said Mark Shooshanian, Fordson High School's athletic
director, but he'd like to see it become enshrined in the rules.

"The hardest part for me is within our league there are 27 teams and still
some of the coaches question the uniform," said Shooshanian, who has been
sending the requests for 15 years. "Why do I have to keep doing it?" State
athletic association spokesman John Johnson said the system "almost rubber
stamps" requests, but requiring the case-by-case letter provides a safeguard
against misunderstandings.

At Bakri's middle school, Lowrey Middle School, she was the first athlete of
the year to wear the scarf and earned letters in basketball, volleyball,
track and swimming. Swimming required the most creativity. She couldn't wear
a swimsuit in front of men, so she worked out a deal with her coach and
athletic director to practice daily with the team but not compete in meets.
The coach timed her during practice and awarded her the letter based on
performance.

Now, Lowrey students hug and thank Bakri when she visits. "It made me feel
so good about what I'm doing," said Bakri, who coaches summer leagues and
teaches physical education part-time at a private school. "I never really
realized how hard it was, especially at the middle school level. I figured I
'm going to play basketball. ... I never thought people might have a problem
with it."

Her 17-year-old sister, Hyatt Bakri, is a starting shooting guard at Fordson
High, and wears pants and long sleeves on the court.

"Some schools are used to seeing girls in the hijab, but other schools find
it different, odd," Hyatt Bakri said during a break from a recent practice.
"After Sept. 11, they feel like we're a threat to them even though we didn't
have anything to do with it. So they look at us differently."

Teammate Fatima Kobeissi, a senior reserve guard, said she's worn the hijab
since she was nine. "Nothing in our religion says we can't go out and do
other things just like everybody else. It's just while we're doing it, we
have to be more modest maybe than everybody else," she said.

Dewnya Bakri lets young players know there are ways to deal with the taunts
that don't mean getting rolled over, like the time when opposing players
insulted her scarf-wearing teammate during a high school tournament.

"I looked at (one of them) and said 'This is for you.' I shot six threes in
that game. I was guarding her and she scored zero. "That shut her down."

*Russian **'**Sex Day**'** to Boost Births*

* *

*http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6990802.stm*

*12 September 2007***

*The governor of **Ulyanovsk** region in **Russia** is offering prizes to
couples who have babies in exactly nine months - on **Russia**'**s national
day on 12 June.*

*Sergei Morozov wants couples to take the day off work to have sex. If a
baby is born on national day, they will receive cars, TVs or other prizes.
Mr Morozov has declared Wednesday "family contact day" as part of efforts to
fight **Russia**'**s demographic crisis. The population has sharply declined
since the **Soviet Union** collapsed. *
**
This is the third year that Ulyanovsk, in central Russia, is offering prizes
for babies born on 12 June. This year, a couple won the grand prize of a
sports utility vehicle (SUV). The initiative seems to be paying off as the
region's birth rate has risen by 4.5% over last year.

"If there's a good, healthy atmosphere at home within the family, if the
husband and wife both love each other and their child, they will be in good
spirits... So there'll be a healthy atmosphere throughout the country," Mr
Morozov told the Associated Press news agency.

*Demographers estimate that **Russia** could lose 40 million people - almost
a third of its current population - by the middle of the century. A
combination of falling birth rates, emigration and an ailing health care
system has led to the decline. *
**
President Vladimir Putin has introduced a scheme to encourage more children.
Women who have a second or third child are eligible to receive $9,000 which
can be used to pay for education or home purchases.

*Nepali Women Rush for Gurkha Training*
**

*GOPAL SHARMA IN **KATHMANDU** *
*http://news.scotsman.com/international.cfm?id=1001182007*
**
*MORE than 1,500 Nepali women have signed up with private firms to train for
a possible career with the British Army after it allowed them to join the
Brigade of Gurkhas for the first time in nearly two centuries.
**Britain**is studying how Nepali women could be recruited for its
Gurkha force and
authorities took out a newspaper advertisement this month asking women to
give "notification of interest". *
**
  Gurkha soldiers, from a tribe in Nepal's Himalayan foothills known for
their combat skills, have been serving in the army since 1815. But only men
have been recruited. "There is great interest among women about the
recruitment and this will only go up," said Prem Prakash Nemwang, a former
Gurkha who runs a course in Dharan, a few hours' drive east of Kathmandu.

British officials said practical issues such as recruitment and selection
standards needed to be settled and actual recruitment could take time.

*"I know it is very good for my career," said Bunita Gurung, 19, taking a
course in Pokhara in west **Nepal**. "I want to be a soldier in the British
Army." Ms Gurung, a management student, was inspired to look for an army
career by her father, a former Gurkha. *
**
*Sirjana Rana, 20, also a student, said she would barely get $150 a month
after completing her studies. If she joined the British Army, her wages
could be ten times higher. "This is the first opportunity and the first is
auspicious. I don**'**t want to miss it," she said. *
**

Britain, which recruits 230 Gurkha men a year, has not said how many women
it will take. There are about 3,400 Nepalis in the Brigade of Gurkhas, which
has fought in Iraq, Afghanistan and the Balkans.