*April 17, 2007*
*Capuano and Kucinich Come Clean About the Lobby* *Why is the Peace Movement
Silent About AIPAC?***

*By JOHN WALSH*

*http://www.counterpunch.org/walsh04172007.html*

"AIPAC!" was the forceful one-word answer of Congressman Michael Capuano
when we asked him, "Why was the Iran clause forbidding war on Iran without
Congressional approval taken out of the recent supplemental for the Iraq war
funding?" I nearly fell out of my chair at his reply - not because this was
news but because of who had just said it. Capuano is a close ally of Nancy
Pelosi, her fixer and enforcer. That was last Friday morning when a small
delegation from Cambridge and Somerville, MA, were visiting the Congressman,
known for his bluntness, as part of the nationwide UFPJ (United For Peace
and Justice) home lobbying effort during the Congressional recess.

*Later that day, Dennis Kucinich made an appearance at Harvard, where he was
asked the same question, the reason for removing the **Iran** provision.
"AIPAC," I volunteered out loud. Kucinich looked my way and said, "Exactly."
Again my chair almost failed to contain me.*

*A few weeks earlier we had gone to the offices of Senators Kennedy and then
Kerry to discuss the war. (My intention was to call their attention to
www.FilibusterForPeace.org <http://www.filibusterforpeace.org/> to which the
Kennedy aide was sympathetic and the Kerry aide predictably hostile.) I
raised the question of AIPAC directly with Kerry**'**s aide, inquiring about
its hawkish influence on Kerry and other Senators. Suddenly the aide was
quite engaged. Leaning forward, he said: "That will never be discussed
publicly. That will never be discussed publicly." Clearly even Kerry**'**s
office is unhappy with the pressure that comes from AIPAC. *

It is widely acknowledged that the reps and senators are ticked at AIPAC,
and their hostility seems to be growing these days. With upwards of 60% of
their campaign contributions coming directly or indirectly from the Israel
Lobby, the Democratic congressmen are not free to respond to their antiwar
base. This opens them to an antiwar electoral challenge on the Left or Right
from forces not subservient to AIPAC. And that could cost them their next
election, a little thing which has them very worked up. Capuano's cry of
"AIPAC" was no simple outburst of candor but a *cri de coeur** *for his
career.

*So here we have even Congressmen and Senator**'**s aides complaining
publicly about AIPAC. AIPAC is being outed all over the mainstream media,
largely thanks to the door opening work of Mearsheimer and Walt. AIPAC is
skewered routinely by Justin Raimondo on Antiwar.com and by Alex Cockburn
and many others here on CounterPunch. But there remains no anti-AIPAC
campaign within the mainstream antiwar organizations, like UFPJ or Peace
Action. (Even one supposed Congressional ally of the peace movement was
announced as a celebrity guest at the recent colossal AIPAC meeting in
Washington, where half the Congress shows up and Dick Cheney is a regular
speaker. What gives?) *

*I have been told by leaders of the peace movement that AIPAC is a
distraction from the main thrust of the antiwar movement. And so we should
not engage it; AIPAC is to be immune. But with all due respect to the
sentiments of that leadership, immunity for AIPAC is a prescription for
disaster. To use a military analogy, which I do not especially like, suppose
that we were trying to take a hill in **Germany** in 1944. And suppose we
said that we would not attack one pillbox, which kept devastating our
forces. Leave just that one pillbox alone! The result would be devastating;
we would be cut down with every succeeding attempt at advance. So it is with
AIPAC which campaigns relentlessly for war on Iraq, war on Iran, war on
Syria, war on Lebanon and the slow genocide of the Palestinian people. AIPAC
constantly puts the peace movement on the defensive while it is free to be
on the offensive all the time. *

*AIPAC is not just an issue for Jewish Americans or the Jewish wing of the
peace movement like Jewish Voice for Peace; it is a major force, although
not the only one, driving the **U.S.** to wars in the **Middle East**. AIPAC
is no less a force for war than is the Republican National Committee. In
fact it is worse, because it sinks its teeth into the foreign policy
establishment of both parties, perhaps the Dems more so than the
Republicans. If the peace movement is to be worth its salt, then it must
take action against AIPAC. (It is marathon season here in **Boston** and my
friend, Israeli expatriate Joshua Ashenberg, tells me that the foregoing
thought harbors a logical error. As he says: "A **'**movement**'** that does
not work against AIPAC is NOT a peace movement by definition. It will not
help if I call myself a marathon runner, while I never ran a marathon.")*

*In the **Boston** area, AIPAC appears to be especially powerful, and so we
have a special responsibility to take it on. At the recent AIPAC conference
in **Washington**, the delegates from Boston/New **England** were the most
hawkish toward **Iran**. Just before the last election a notorious ad in the
Boston Globe, cheering on the Israeli bombing of Lebanon, was engineered by
the Jewish Community Relations Council, an arm of AIPAC here. Every major
political figure in MA signed the ad, including our "liberal" governor,
Deval Patrick, and supposed peacenik Congressman Jim McGovern. Only
Conressmen Capuano and Delahunt withheld their signatures. In addition AIPAC
appears to raise a lot of money in our neck of the woods. *

So I have a modest suggestion. On Sunday, April 29, beginning at 6 pm, AIPAC
has its annual fundraising dinner at the Westin Hotel in Copley Square in
Boston. (Last year a good table for 10 went for a modest $10,000.) Show up
at 5 pm to protest the machinations of AIPAC. Which peace organizations in
our area will be there? Which ones will promote the rally? And which will
maintain their silence?

** American **Israel** Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC)*

*John V. Walsh can be reached at [EMAIL PROTECTED] *

*He urges one and all to sign and circulate the petition at
WWW.FilibusterForPeace.org <http://www.filibusterforpeace.org/>. The Senate
Dems have *the power to stop the war with 41 votes; tell them to use it.

**

**

*March** 19, 2007***
*Nancy Pelosi: The AIPAC Girl***

*By Patrick J. Buchanan <http://www.vdare.com/buchanan/index.htm> *

*http://www.vdare.com/buchanan/070319_pelosi.htm*

If George W. Bush launches a pre-emptive war on Iran, House Speaker Nancy
Pelosi will bear full moral responsibility for that war. For it was Pelosi
who quietly agreed to strip out of the $100 billion funding bill for Iraq a
provision that would have required President Bush to seek congressional
approval before launching any new war on Iran. Pelosi's capitulation came in
the Appropriations Committee.

What went down, and why?

*"Conservative Democrats as well as lawmakers concerned about the possible
impact on Israel had argued for the change in strategy," *wrote The
Associated Press' David Espo and Matthew Lead.

*"Rep. Shelley Berkley, D-Nev., said in an interview there is a widespread
fear in Israel about Iran, which ... has expressed unremitting hostility to
the Jewish state. *

*"**'**It would take away perhaps the most important tool the **U.S.** has
when it comes to **Iran**,**'** she said of the now-abandoned provision. *

*"**'**I don**'**t think it was a very wise idea to take things off the
table if you**'**re trying to get people to modify their behavior and
normalize in a civilized way,**'** said Gary Ackerman of New York." [ Dems
abandon war authority
provision,<http://fe9.news.re3.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070312/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_iraq&printer=1>
March
12, 2007]*

According to John Nichols of *The Nation,* Pelosi's decision to strip the
provision barring Bush from attacking Iran without Congress' approval *"sends
the worst possible signal to the White House." "The speaker has erred
dangerously and dramatically,"* writes
Nichols<http://news.yahoo.com/s/thenation/20070313/cm_thenation/1174804>.
Her *"disastrous misstep could haunt her and the Congress for years to
come." *

*Nichols does not exaggerate. If Bush now launches war on **Iran**, he can
credibly say Congress and the Democrats gave him a green light. For Pelosi,
by removing a provision saying Bush does not have the authority, de facto
concedes he does have the authority. Bush and Cheney need now not worry
about Congress. They have been flashed the go sign for war on **Iran**. *

Pelosi & Co. thus aborted a bipartisan effort to ensure that if we do go to
war again, we do it the constitutional way, and we do it together. Nothing
in the provision would have prevented Bush, as commander in chief, from
responding to an Iranian attack or engaging in hot pursuit of an enemy found
in Iraq. Nor would the provision have prevented Bush from threatening Iran.
It would simply have required him to come to Congress—before launching
all-out war.

Now Pelosi has, in effect, ceded Bush carte blanche to take out Iran's
nuclear facilities. It's all up to him and Cheney. For this the nation
elected a Democratic Congress?<http://www.vdare.com/buchanan/070115_jones.htm>

Why did Pelosi capitulate? Answer: She was* "under pressure from some
conservative members of her caucus, and from lobbyists associated with
neoconservative groups that want war with **Iran** and the American **Israel
** Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC)," *writes Nichols.

The *Washington Times* agrees as to who bully-ragged Nancy into scuttling
any requirement that Bush come to the Hill before unleashing the B-2s on Arak,
Natanz and Bushehr: <http://www.vdare.com/buchanan/070108_war.htm>

*"Last week, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi received a smattering of
boos<http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelosi-hears-boos-at-aipac-2007-03-13.html>when
she bad-mouthed the war effort during a speech to the American Israel
Public Affairs Committee, and the Democratic leadership, responding to
concerns from pro-Israel lawmakers, was forced to strip from a military
appropriations measure a provision meant to weaken President Bush**'**s
ability to respond to threats from Iran."[**Foreign policy
adrift?<http://washingtontimes.com/op-ed/20070318-094754-3807r.htm>
*March 19, 2007*]*

This episode, wherein liberal Democrats scuttled a bipartisan effort to
require Bush to abide by the Constitution before taking us into a third war
in the Middle East, speaks volumes about who has the whip hand on Capitol
Hill, when it comes to the Middle East. Pelosi gets booed by the Israeli
lobby, then runs back to the Hill and gives Bush a blank check for war on
Iran, because that is what the lobby demands. A real candidate for *Profiles
in Courage. <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profiles_in_Courage>*

*As for the presidential candidates, it is hard to find a single one willing
to stand up and say: If Bush plans to take us into another war in the **
Mideast**, he must first come to Congress for
authorization.<http://www.vdare.com/francis/war_powers.htm>And if he
goes to war without authorization, that will be impeachable. All
retreat into the "all-options-are-on-the-table" mantra, which is another way
of saying, "It**'**s Bush**'**s call." *

The corruption of both parties is astonishing. Republicans used to be the
party of the Constitution: *"No more undeclared wars! No more presidential
wars!" *Democrats used to be the party of the people. The people don't want
this war. They don't want another. The Jewish community voted 88 percent for
Democrats in November, and 77 percent oppose Iraq.

So says Gallup. Yet, just because the Israeli lobby jerked her chain, the
leader of the Peoples' House has decided she and her party will leave the
next war up to Bush. Sam Rayburn must be turning over in his grave.

*Patrick J. Buchanan <http://www.theamericancause.org/> needs no
introduction <http://www.vdare.com/pb/dw_review.htm> to VDARE.COM readers;
his book **State of Emergency: The Third World Invasion and Conquest of
America<http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?link_code=ur2&tag=vdare&camp=1789&creative=9325&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Fproduct%2F0312360037%2F>,
can be ordered from Amazon.com.*