Violence occurs as an obstacle in the path towards freedom. Every desire/action
of a human being is a sub-conscious effort to attain freedom. Now the question
arises, why freedom! To start with, we do not make a choice of our births,
colours, cultures etc. on our own. This is our first dilemma that contradicts
our pride of being born free. Secondly, we are said to have a free will but
side-by-side we are told what to do and what not to do! Hence, unknowingly or
knowingly we have an innate desire to cut these chains to arrive at a state of
freedom.
  Still, why lack of freedom gives rise to violence? It is because one-way or
the other, we blame others for depriving us of freedom. This situation arises
due to the paradox of looking for right things at wrong places:
  One evening, a neighbour noticed that Mulla Nasruddin was searching for
something outside of his home. He approached Nasruddin and asked, ‘Mulla! Have
you lost something? Mulla told him that he lost his ring and asked his help to
find the ring. . After some searching without any result, the neighbour asked,
‘where did you exactly drop it?’
Mulla replied, ‘Inside the house’
‘If you lost the ring inside your house, then why are you looking for it here.’
‘Well, there is more light out here.’ Replied Mulla.
  This is exactly the situation, as we like to draw a straight line on a
crooked surface. For instance, politically, we shout freedom but ended up
obtaining smaller countries out of bigger countries. Likewise, slogans of
religious freedom concentrate us in smaller pockets. Evidently, humanity
compromises sky of freedom with less and less space. Is it freedom or
imprisonment?  It is strange that freedom, which is limitless, is seen through
the lens of extreme limitedness. This is a great human tragedy that we desire
an open sky by confining ourselves into a tiny dungeon. With this conflict of
understanding, chaos is the only outcome, yet we want to live a peaceful life.
The gravity of self-created contradictions keeps us pulling down from the sky
of freedom to live a life of anger and frustration giving rise to a violent way
of life. Basically, we are thirsty for inner freedom, but hiding this ailment
with tons of fancy diseases like lack of power, not being religious, not
 wealthy etc. etc.
  A king after taking a heavy meal felt dryness in his throat.  The court
physicians had been called and after consultation, he was given some sort of
oil to apply but dryness remained. Then, he had been asked to take honey, but
dryness of his throat sustained. They kept on trying different methods, but
condition of King’s throat kept getting worse. At that point, they ended up
inviting a wise man. After checking King’s throat and getting information about
the symptoms, disease was diagnosed as ‘thirst’ with the treatment of ‘water’
and lo! The King was healed.
  Surrounded with so many lies yet in search of truth, we talk about peace and
non-violence. It is like dreaming light with closed eyes. Unless and until we
face ourselves truthfully, there can be no genuine solution to any genuine
problem. This is what freedom is all about i.e. to determine the causes of
chains and bonds that are hindering us to fly like an eagle in an open sky. To
put it in more realistic words, to realize what is stopping us to feel more
loving and joyful, as ‘freedom’ and ‘being in love’ is synonymous. People who
love and laugh a lot are never violent and only such individuals seem to be
capable of piercing the veil of conditioning and gets transported to a stage
where religion, sects, nationalities do not matter. Love has an inherent
quality of extinguishing the fire of hatred and violence in no time whatsoever.
This is where, violence ends and peace begins.

saiyed shahbazi
  www.shahbazcenter.org