*Losing My Religion- a call for help *
*6/19/2008 - Social Education Family - Article Ref: IC0806-3597
**
By: Dr. Jeffrey Lang
IslamiCity* - *
*To the Homegrown American Sisters and Brothers*

At present, our community in America, whether or not we are aware of it or
acknowledge it, is engulfed in a decisive conflict, and we are taking heavy
losses. Mass numbers of descendents of Muslims, converts, and spiritual
seekers are forsaking the American Islamic community and many of these will
inevitably abandon the religion. The confrontation is of course not military
but rather is occurring on the intellectual plane. On one front our religion
is being both subtly and overtly demeaned by the media. On another,
anti-Islam websites are assaulting the faith with mostly discarded but now
resurrected antiquated orientalist criticisms.

On another, an extreme, virulent and irrational interpretation of the faith
has assumed, with a good deal of outside support, center stage on the world
scene. On another, most mosques in this country impose in the name of Islam,
traditions and beliefs of questionable necessity that obfuscate the
fundamental message of God's last revelation to humanity and that are
driving individuals from the faith in droves, and that serve to confirm for
too many youth of Muslim parentage and American converts the overriding
negative impression of Islam that society seems to hold at large. Instead of
seeing a path to spiritual growth, enlightenment and fulfillment many of
these disengaged Muslims start to see a stagnant, retrogressive, patriarchal
remnant of a lagging culture, mired in meaningless controversies and hollow,
lifeless formalism.

If this is going to be countered, it will require an immense and courageous
intellectual effort, and those upon whose shoulders this challenge and duty
primarily rests are the second generation and converts who have held fast to
their faith despite the many challenges this has presented. It is you, the
activist American Muslim youth and converts, though your numbers are small,
who have been placed in a pivotal role. Through your American upbringing,
you have come to fully know and understand the surrounding society, and
through your love and commitment to God and your religion, in a milieu that
constantly tests it, you have by nature and necessity become the crucial
bridge between your faith and its future in this country. You are in the
best position to rationally respond to Islam's detractors and to communicate
and demonstrate to your fellow countrymen and women what it really means to
be a Muslim. You think their think, talk their talk, and appreciate their
confusions and concerns. You are also in the best position to reassess the
vast tradition that has come down to us in the name of Islam. It is
precisely because you have not been reared in a traditional Muslim culture
and because you have been taught since your first day in school to search,
question, critique, and analyze that you are the prime candidates to
endeavor to separate religion from culture, to distinguish the essential to
Islam from time and place bound interpretations. It is you who are best able
to understand and communicate to the disaffected Muslim youth. This is your
jihad (struggle), a jihad for minds and hearts, a jihad of intellect and
reason.

*So I encourage you to arm yourselves, my younger brothers and sisters, with
books, and pens and personal computers, and all the other instruments of
learning. And arm yourselves with knowledge of your religious tradition and
the works and thoughts of its great minds of the past*. But also arm
yourselves with modern techniques of critical, analytical, investigative
research, so that you can better study and critique past contributions in
the Islamic sciences. Learn all you can in your coursework, and especially
in such fields as religious studies, history, anthropology, and linguistics.
Arm yourselves also, if you have the inclination and aptitude, with advanced
degrees in these areas of research so critical to the project of
reappraising our community's traditions. And arm yourselves with humility,
because it is vital to objectivity, and with courage and perseverance,
brothers and sisters, because you will be opposed from without and within
the Muslim community.

*And remember to always pursue the truth, for God is the Truth, and always
pray for and trust in His guidance. And so arm yourselves also with
steadfast devotion to your Lord, never forgetting that to Him, and Him only,
you have surrendered*-not to a tradition, or a school of thought, or a local
community or culture, or scholarly legacy-and that your living, striving,
sacrifice and dying, all is for Allah.

*The article was excerpted from Dr. Jeffrey Lang's book entitled Losing My
Religion, an in depth analysis of the current acculturation of the Muslim
American identity. *

*Dr. Jeffrey Lang is Professor of Mathematics at The University of Kansas,
Lawrence, Kansas. He is the author of two best selling works: Struggling to
Surrender and Even Angels Ask: A Journey to Islam in America. Both Books
have been translated into other languages. *
 ------------------------------
 <http://toolbar.aol.com/moviefone/download.html?ncid=aolcmp00050000000011>

<http://search.live.com/cashback/?&pkw=form=MIJAAF/publ=HMTGL/crea=earncashback>-----------------

Gregory Waleed Kavalec
  I am free, no matter what rules surround me.
  If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them;
     if I find them too obnoxious, I break them.
  I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for
everything I do.
  -- Robert Heinlein