Berlin begs Ottawa to stay past 2009
With its public increasingly unnerved about terrorism and war, Germany implores
Canada to stay the course for the greater good
DOUG SAUNDERS

BERLIN - Stung by a thwarted terrorist attack and facing their own ugly
parliamentary debate over the war, German leaders are begging Canada to avoid
withdrawing troops from Afghanistan in early 2009 as scheduled.

"I want to say how much we appreciate what Canada is doing. We know that, for
instance, about 100,000 Canadian soldiers lie in the European soil, [soldiers]
that fought in two world wars begun by Germany. And it was never a question for
Canada to defend our common values where it was needed," Eckart von Klaeden,
Chancellor Angela Merkel's foreign-policy spokesman, said in an interview
yesterday.

"Canada is a really important country as a role model for others. It would have
consequences for the whole alliance and for the whole Western world if Canada
would leave Afghanistan."

In both Canada and Germany, the Afghan mission faces intense pressure from the
public and from opposition parties supporting shaky governments. Germany, like
Canada, is in the midst of a debate over the nature of its commitment. But both
parties in the German coalition government, the left-wing Social Democrats and
the conservative Christian Democrats, have declared that troops should stay for
at least 10 years, and the Social Democrats are arguing that the number of
troops should be increased.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper said recently that Canada's 2,500 troops would
not stay beyond the current February, 2009, deadline unless there is a
parliamentary mandate, which would probably be impossible in the current
minority government.

NATO leaders, meeting in Ottawa yesterday and facing withdrawals from the
37-nation Afghanistan mission by Canada, the Netherlands and several other
nations, urged Canada to "stay the course."

In the war-plagued south, the loss of Canada and the Netherlands would leave
only Britain and the United States, and NATO would be forced to press other
nations, which have so far refused to enter this more intense battle, to send
their troops into the line of fire.

This has created an air of crisis in Germany, whose 3,500 troops are mostly
engaged in non-combat work securing the relatively peaceful north of
Afghanistan.

Christian Schmidt, the German secretary of state for defence, said in an
interview that Germany would not consider sending its troops south, beyond 100
special-forces soldiers and a fleet of Tornado aircraft that are supporting the
U.S. Operation Enduring Freedom mission there, and suggested that Canada is
damaging the solidarity of the NATO mission.

"The ideal should be, you go in together, you go out together, mission
accomplished and we're leaving. ... I think it would be the best to go out
together, but I appreciate very much and I estimate very highly the commitment
of Canada as it is today."

Germany on Wednesday arrested three men and is seeking about a dozen other
suspects after breaking up an alleged Islamist terrorist plot that sought to
explode huge bombs outside U.S.-linked military installations near Frankfurt.
Such strikes could become prevalent if the NATO coalition was seen to be weak
and divided, German officials said.

"I think we are only successful if we stand together, and if the terrorists
would identify Germany as the weakest link in NATO's chain, I think this would
increase the probability of such attacks. So standing together is really very,
very important," Mr. von Klaeden said.

The German parliament will vote during the next three months on a series of
bills that would extend the country's military commitment in Afghanistan, which
expires before the end of this year. While both the conservative and left-wing
parties in the coalition government are likely to support an extension of the
NATO mission in northern Afghanistan, they are deeply divided over the
country's other commitments and the details of the arrangement.

The debate in Berlin is strikingly similar to the one unfolding in Ottawa. The
German public is generally opposed to the mission, with 65 per cent of voters
supporting an immediate withdrawal.

And the left-leaning Social Democrats may be poised to vote against Germany's
contribution to the U.S. Operation Enduring Freedom mission, which is largely
indistinguishable from the NATO operation but is more active in the south. They
will hold a party convention later this month to decide their position. The
party has been losing voters to the Left Party, made of former East German
Communists and far-left former Social Democrats, because it is the only party
backing a complete withdrawal.

Rainer Arnold, the Social Democrat defence spokesman, said in an interview
yesterday that his party would back a troop increase if the generals wanted it,
and that they are largely supporting the German non-combat role in the north,
but that it may need to be examined.

"I think our main responsibility is to find a better understanding of why it is
that Germany has decided to maintain its strong position in the north," he
said. "It's the same question I was confronted with recently in Kabul from the
Canadian generals, asking why we can't send a strong army to the south."

Mr. Arnold said that Germany would likely be considering an immediate
withdrawal if it were facing the number of deaths that Canada has been
enduring. Since the war's outset in 2001, 21 German soldiers and three
policemen have died, compared with 70 Canadian soldiers and one diplomat.

"It's a very difficult position the Canadians are in, especially given the
smallness of their army and the very difficult situation in the south and the
high number of victims," Mr. Arnold said. "If we had these kind of figures in
Germany, I don't know if the German population and politicians would support
the mandate."

The military's role

The role of the German military has been severely restricted since the adoption
of a new constitution in 1949 after its Second World War defeat.

Under Germany's constitution, known as its Basic Law, the military's role is
strictly defensive. Constitutional court rulings in the 1990s, however,
expanded the definition of "defensive" beyond protecting Germany's borders to
include guarding the security of Germany anywhere in the world. Before that
change, the German military mostly helped out in times of natural disaster.

Around the same time that the military role was changed, the courts also made
it clear that a specific resolution of parliament, which describes the details
of the mission and limits its term, is required to send German troops outside
the territory of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.

Staff

What was said

Terror arrests in Germany sparked a range of opinions in the newspapers.

Frankfurter Allgemeine

New York. Madrid. London. Then Frankfurt? Hanau? Heidelberg? German cities were
supposed to become part of the barrage of attacks by Islamic terrorists that
would shake the West to its foundations. ... Experience shows that one cannot
give them any quarter, not in Afghanistan, not in German mosques and backrooms,
and not in the depths of the Internet. The next attack is possibly already
being planned.

Green Party Chair Claudia Roth, in an interview with Sueddeutsche Zeitung

Along with many other experts, I see a need for a radical change of strategy
[in Afghanistan]. This doesn't mean that we should just deploy more troops, as
Foreign Minister [Frank-Walter] Steinmeier demands, but that we finally push
forward with all our strength on civilian reconstruction. At the same time,
along with ISAF [International Security Force to Afghanistan], a military
component remains necessary to secure reconstruction efforts.

Die Zeit

In year five of the reconstruction efforts on the Hindu Kush, the German army
has learned a painful lesson: It is wrong to think that you won't make enemies
in Afghanistan as long as you do only good. Whoever changes or modernizes
things here, is practising politics, be it in the building of schools or of
roads.

Reader of Die Welt responds to question, Are our current laws enough to fight
against terror?

[Interior Minister] Wolfgang Schaeuble wants to turn our country into a
surveillance state. Besides, we ourselves are responsible for possible
terrorist attacks because we participate in useless oil wars with the U.S.A. in
the name of freedom, which for me are crimes.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070907.wgermany07/BNStory/International