B i s m i l l a a h i r   R a h m a a n i r   R a h e e m

Assalamu Alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Barakaatahu,

Dear Brothers and Sisters,

This email which I received today is interesting, but is it true? I searched on
the title of this urban legend chain e-mail and the first hit was, thankfully,
to Snopes http://www.snopes.com/medical/disease/stroke.asp, which had
appropriately tagged the claims made as false.

I feel that this email was written in good faith.  However, the information
contained in this e-mail, credulously spread around the internet, is both wrong
and dangerous. Anyone believing and following its advice would almost certainly
cause harm.
First let me dispense with the claims that are made - primarily that minute
bleeding through finger or earlobe pricks will prevent permanent damage from a
stroke.

There are actually several kinds of stroke and one should know what a stroke is.

Briefly, the term refers to the presentation of symptoms - stroke-like or
sudden in appearance. The two main types of stroke are hemmorhagic and ischemic
attack. When a person gets an acute stroke he will either die or suffer
permanent serious disabilities. Hemmorhagic strokes are caused by bleeding into
the brain. Ischemic strokes are caused by lack of blood flow to a portion of
the brain, and are further divided by the cause of the blockage. Ischemic
strokes can also secondarily bleed from the damage to the brain tissue and its
blood vessels.

However, when a person gets a transient ischemic attack (TIA) the symptoms
resolve within 24 hours, with no permanent damage. Therefore the miraculous
recovery described in the email transmitted would have been due to the patient
having gone through a TIA.  His recovery was not due to his having his blood
drained from his fingers and ear lobes.

Let's take a look at the specific recommendations of this e-mail to see how
harmful they are. The recommendations begin with the statement "when a stroke
occurs," but it is not possible to say by observation alone when a stroke has
occurred. All that you can tell from symptoms and examination is that a
"stroke-like event" has occurred. Stroke-like symptoms can be caused by a
seizure, a bleed, or a true ischemic stroke. There is no way to tell the
difference without a CT-Scan.

The email advises not to move the patient. Then it says to sit the patient up.
If the patient has a bleed sitting up (to a degree) may be helpful. But if the
patient have an ischemic stroke then sitting up with further impair blood flow
and make the stroke worse. There is no way to tell without a proper medical
examination which kind of stroke a patient has, but most are ischemic so this
advice is likely to cause harm by worsening the stroke. The underlying cause
between acute stroke and TIA is the same. Therefore, it's very important to get
immediate medical attention for all stroke victims. TIA is also a warning sign
of increased risk of a full fledged stroke. In high risk demographics, the risk
of stroke goes up ten-fold after a TIA. (reference:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000726.htm)

The bleeding through finger or earlobe pricks, as I mentioned above, is
worthless and all it does is to delay getting the stroke victim to proper
medical care. There is a saying in neurology, time = brain. Many countries have
public health campaigns to treat stroke like a "brain attack" and to get
patients to emergency medical care as soon as possible. This kind of
nonsensical misinformation works directly against these efforts by telling
people to waste a considerable amount of time pricking their fingers before
doing anything useful.

The next statement is even worse - wait for the patient to regain consciousness
(most stroke victims actually don't lose consciousness) and for the symptoms to
resolve. Wow!!! - that is exactly the opposite of what we should do.

So what is the first thing we should do?

The first thing we should do is to get the stroke victim to the emergency room
in time for tPA therapy. A blood thinner or clot busting drug called tPA*
(Tissue plasminogen activator) must be administered within three hours of the
onset of symptoms. Delaying hospitalization for whatever reason may worsen the
patient's prognosis. (*Thrombolytic therapy is the use of drugs to break up or
dissolve blood clots, which are the main cause of both heart attacks and
stroke. The most commonly used drug for thrombolytic therapy is tissue
plasminogen activator (tPA), but other drugs can do the same thing.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/007089.htm)

Do not waste a single minute by driving slowly as suggested by the email which
mentioned that moving a stroke victim might cause "irrepairable bursting of the
brain capillaries". That is because the initial stroke has already occurred, so
transport is unlikely to cause further harm.

Please do not try bloodletting at home. No Medical Journals, whether Western or
Chinese Medicine, has ever recommended that any such treatment be tried in the
home, so don't try it.

In conclusion, the claims made in this e-mail are absurd from a
physiological/medical point of view and the recommendations based upon them are
actually dangerous and almost certain to cause harm, mainly by delaying
appropriate diagnosis and care in the setting of a genuine medical emergency.
There is no compelling reason to believe anything contained in this e-mail. It
has all the markings of urban legend SPAM.

Fee Amaanillaah,
Your sister,
K a r i m a
DDN