Virtues of Ramadhaan
HADITH - 4
Ubaadah bin Saamit (Radhiallaahu Ánhu) reports that Rasulullah (Sallallaahu
Álayhi Wasallam) said one day when Ramadhaan had drawn near; "The month of
Ramadhan, the month of blessings has come to you, wherein Allah turns towards
you and sends down to you His special Mercy, forgives your faults, accepts
prayers, appreciates your competition for the greatest, good and boasts to the
angels about you. So, show to Allah your righteousness; for verily, the most
pitiable and unfortunate one is he who is deprived of Allah's Mercy in this
month.
COMMENTARY
In this Hadith, we read about the spirit of competition among the believers,
each one trying to do more good deeds than the other. In our own home, I am
greatly pleased on seeing how even the womenfolk vie with each other, the one
trying to recite more of the Qur'aan than the others, so that, in spite of
domestic responsibilities, fifteen to twenty 'juz' (Parts) of the Qur'aan are
read by each one daily. I mention this only out of a sense of gratitude to
Allah, mentioning His favour, and not to boast of it. May Allah accept their
deeds and ours, and increase us all in good deeds.