*Islam Question & Answers*
**
*Iftar with Non Muslims*
*Sheikh Muhammed Salih al-Munajjid*
*http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/38125/iftar%20and%20non%20muslims*<http://www.islamqa.com/en/ref/38125/iftar%20and%20non%20muslims>

Praise be to Allaah.

It is permissible to have iftaar with non-Muslims if there is a shar'i
reason for doing so, such as calling them to the true religion, or softening
their hearts towards Islam, etc, which are what is hoped for if they come
and eat iftaar at the tables set up for communal iftaar, as happens in some
countries. But if it is done just to be friendly towards them and enjoy
their company, this is a dangerous matter, because the principle of al-wala'
wa'l-bara' (befriending the believers and showing enmity towards the
disbelievers) is one of the basic principles of Islam, and one of the most
important duties of the believers. This principle is referred to in a number
of verses in the Book of Allaah and ahaadeeth of the Prophet (peace and
blessings of Allaah be upon him), for example:

Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning):  "You (O Muhammad) will not
find any people who believe in Allaah and the Last Day, making friendship
with those who oppose Allaah and His Messenger (Muhammad), even though they
were their fathers or their sons or their brothers or their kindred
(people). For such He has written Faith in their hearts, and strengthened
them with Rooh (proofs, light and true guidance) from Himself. And He will
admit them to Gardens (Paradise) under which rivers flow, to dwell therein
(forever). Allaah is pleased with them, and they with Him. They are the
party of Allaah. Verily, it is the party of Allaah that will be the
successful" [al-Mujaadilah 58:22]

"O you who believe! Take not for Awliyaa' (protectors or helpers or friends)
disbelievers instead of believers. Do you wish to offer Allaah a manifest
proof against yourselves?" [al-Nisa' 4:144]

"O you who believe! Take not the Jews and the Christians as Awliyaa'
(friends, protectors, helpers), they are but Awliyaa' of each other. And if
any amongst you takes them (as Awliyaa'), then surely, he is one of them.
Verily, Allaah guides not those people who are the Zaalimoon (polytheists
and wrongdoers and unjust)" [al-Maa'idah 5:51]

"O you who believe! Take not as (your) Bitaanah (advisors, consultants,
protectors, helpers, friends) those outside your religion (pagans, Jews,
Christians, and hypocrites) since they will not fail to do their best to
corrupt you. They desire to harm you severely. Hatred has already appeared
from their mouths, but what their breasts conceal is far worse. Indeed We
have made plain to you the Ayaat (proofs, evidences, verses) if you
understand" [Aal 'Imraan 3:118]

Based on this, the ruling on gathering with these people for iftaar depends
on the intention. And Allaah knows best]Sympathy for the unfortunate

Further, the Hadith states that it is the month of sympathy, especially for
the poor and destitute. Sympathy should be of a practical nature. When ten
things are placed before us for if'taar, at least two or four of them should
be set aside for the poor and needy. In fact they should be treated
preferentially, if not then at least equally.

They should certainly be remembered. In showing sympathy for the poor, as in
all other matters, the Sahaabah R.A. were living examples, and in this, it
is our duty to follow or at least try to follow them. In the matter of
sacrifice and sympathy only the courageous can emulate the Sahaabah. There
are numerous instances, if they are cited, will only leave one in
astonishment.

Let us see the following example, Abu Jahm (RA) relates that: "During the
battle of Yarmouk he went in search of his cousins, taking with him a water
bag to give him to drink and also wash his wounds if he was found alive or
wounded. He found him lying among the wounded. When I asked him whether he
wanted some water, he indicated 'yes'.

At that moment someone near him moaned. My cousin pointed to that person
indicating that I should first quench the thirst of the neighbour. I went to
him and found that he too needed water, but just as I was about to give him
water, a third person groaned near him.

The second one pointed to this third person meaning that I should give the
third one to drink first.

I went to the third person but before he could drink, I found out that he
had passed away, whereupon I returned to the second one only to find that he
too had passed away. When I came to my cousin, he too had become a martyr".

**
* <http://www.islamonline.net//english/index.shtml>*
*Question & Answers*
**
*Topic: Organizing Iftar for Non-Muslims*
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satellite?pagename=IslamOnline-English-Ask_Scholar/FatwaE/FatwaE&cid=1119503546196