Al-Laheedan raps distortion of remarks

JEDDAH: Sheikh Saleh bin Muhammad Al-Laheedan, chairman of the Supreme
Judiciary Council, yesterday denounced the furor created by certain sections of
the media, which he says quoted him out of context.

“I did not know that somebody would vilify me by cutting some words from the
beginning or middle or end of a sentence to serve his vested interests. I did
not expect this because I was not seeking to harm anybody,” Al-Laheedan told
Saudi Television, adding that the statement was made during a radio interview
four months ago.

Sheikh Al-Laheedan also pointed out that his comments were related to magic,
creed and the morals of the general masses, and that he never thought foreign
television channels would distort his words.

“I spoke about TV channels because I was not happy with the programs aired by
many of them. During my talk, I advised broadcasters to fear God and that they
should not broadcast programs that corrupt people’s faith, including those that
show black magic and promote vulgarity and immorality,” he said.

Al-Laheedan said he made the statement while talking on Radio Qur’an’s “Noorun
Aladdarb” program, adding that it was recorded in the beginning of June in
Riyadh. “I advised broadcasters and viewers,” he said. “If those who are
responsible for these channels don’t refrain from telecasting programs which
pave the way for immorality and affect people’s beliefs and lead to bad things
like magic, then such people should be punished,” he added.

“If they are not deterred by the punishment and continue corrupting people,
then it would be possible for the relevant authorities to kill them following a
judicial process,” he said.

“It is well known that a judge would not come out with his sword and kill
whoever he wants. Rather, the authorities would file a lawsuit against the
person with the public prosecutor. The judge would then hear the case and issue
a verdict.” He added that the Kingdom’s judicial system consists of several
steps and that defendants are allowed to appeal verdicts. “Nobody should think
I would make a hasty statement and that I had given the verdict to kill the
owners of TV channels.”

He added that he had also advised broadcasters against showing comedies that do
not conform to the sanctity of Ramadan, and ridicule Islamic scholars and
officials of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of
Vice. He added that he had warned that broadcasters would be responsible for
the sin of people corrupted by them.

In his response yesterday, the Kingdom’s judicial chief spoke about his
long-standing experience of the Kingdom’s judiciary, and his close relationship
with the Saudi leadership and top officials.

Al-Laheedan also emphasized the uprightness of Saudi justice, which he said is
based on the Qur’an, the Sunnah, the views of the companions of the Prophet
Muhammad (peace be upon him) and the unanimous opinions of Islamic scholars
from the first three generations after the birth of Islam.

He added that he has nearly 40 years experience in the Saudi judiciary and that
he is the oldest Islamic scholar in the country.

ref: http://www.arabnews.com/?page=1&section=0&article=114314&d=15&m=9&y=2008

Below is the original story of the remarks...

Saudi: OK to kill owners of 'immoral' TV networks

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) - Saudi Arabia's top judiciary official has issued a
religious decree saying it is permissible to kill the owners of satellite TV
networks that broadcast immoral content.

The 79-year-old Sheik Saleh al-Lihedan said Thursday that satellite channels
cause the "deviance of thousands of people."

Al-Lihedan is chief of the kingdom's highest tribunal, the Supreme Judiciary
Council. Saudi Arabia's judiciary is made up of Islamic clerics whose decrees,
or fatwas, on everyday issues are widely respected. Their fatwas do not have
the weight of law. In the courts, cleric-judges rule according to Islamic law,
but interpretations can vary.

Al-Lihedan was answering listeners' questions during the daily "Light in the
Path" radio program in which he and others make rulings on what is permissible
under Islamic law.

One caller asked about Islam's view of the owners of satellite TV channels that
show "bad programs" during Ramadan.

"I want to advise the owners of these channels, who broadcast calls for such
indecency and impudence ... and I warn them of the consequences," he said.

"What does the owner of these networks think, when he provides seduction,
obscenity and vulgarity?" he said.

"Those calling for corrupt beliefs, certainly it's permissible to kill them,"
he said. "Those calling for sedition, those who are able to prevent it but
don't, it is permissible to kill them."

ref: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080912/saudi_tv_fatwa.html?.v=1