http://www.oic-oci.org/oicnew/topic_detail.asp?t_id=1440

Speech of Prof. Ekmeleddin Ihsanoglu Secretary General of the Organization of
the Islamic Conference to the Annual Coordination Meeting of Foreign Ministers
of OIC Member States

Date: 26/09/2008 - View in: Arabic | French - Print

UNITED NATIONS HEADQUARTERS NEW YORK, 26 SEPTEMBER 2008

Honourable Ministers,
Excellencies,
Dear Sisters and Brothers,

Allow me to start by wishing you a happy and blessed Ramadan, as well as a
joyful Eid el-Fitre which will come in a few days.

We pray God Almighty to bestow on us all, and the Muslims the world over (and
humanity as a whole) his mercy, blessing and benediction as well as his
guidance to serve in his path and carry on his eternal message of Islam.

I have the distinct honour to welcome you all as we come together in this
Coordination Meeting of the Council of Foreign Ministers, to discuss issues of
interest to our countries and our common causes tabled on the agenda of the
present 63rd Session of the General Assembly.

We appreciate this opportunity as it gives us a chance to meet and update our
consultation on certain issues and coordinate our activities and efforts in
this regard.

Before I go any further, I would like to express our sincere thanks to the
Republic of Senegal for successfully hosting the 11th OIC Summit of Heads of
State and Government in Dakar on 13-14 March, 2008 which was a historic meeting
distinguished by the adoption of the new OIC Charter among other things.

By the same token, I would like to convey our gratitude and acknowledgment to
the Republic of Uganda for the excellent hosting of the 35th Session of the
Council of Foreign Ministers in Kampala, which resulted in the adoption of very
important resolutions of major significance to the joint Islamic action.

Honourable Ministers,
Excellencies,
Dear Sisters and Brothers,

As the leaders of the world congregate in the UN Headquarters for the general
debate, the General Assembly, making use of the presence of the world leaders
in New York, has recently taken the initiative to convene High-level events as
the focus of specific discussions and considerations.

The issues of these high-level events are chosen from an array of vital
international issues requiring urgent action. These events deal with four
subjects: Africa’s Development Needs; Achieving the Millennium Development
Goals; Mid-term Review of the Almaty Programme of Action; and the Special
Session on Human Rights.

In addition to these, two themes were chosen by the President of the General
Assembly for the general Debate: Food Crisis and the Democratisation of the UN.

In the same context, and as per tradition, the President of the General
Assembly has identified a number of areas to focus on during this 63rd Session:
food crisis, poverty alleviation, water, health, climate changes, financing for
development, disarmament and countering terrorism. Many of these issues also
take prevalence on the agenda of the OIC as well.

As you are well aware, the two important meetings of the OIC this year were
convened in Africa; the OIC Summit in Dakar, and the CFM in Kampala with
special emphasis on Africa. This is an indication that we are working in tandem
with the concerns and preoccupations of the international community.

Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

As you all know, the world is experiencing a dramatic increase in food prices.
Continued rise in the cost of basic food commodities has an adverse impact on
achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs) and contributes to
exacerbating the rate of poverty; it further impedes development plans,
particularly in developing countries.

Fourteen OIC Member States are among the world’s 37 countries in crisis
requiring external assistance in food supply. The recently held 35th Session of
the OIC Council of Foreign Ministers adopted a resolution on Food Security in
the OIC Member States and called for collective action in order to ensure food
security for the populations of the Member States. Moreover, it mandated the
OIC Secretary General to organize a meeting of Food and Agricultural Ministers
of the OIC Member States to address the current international food crisis and
achieve food security.

The OIC Ten Year Programme of Action called for collective actions of the
Member States in tackling issues such as poverty. OIC identified food and
agriculture as one of its priority areas for collective action and established
a number of programmes to be taken in order to ensure food security.

The growth and development of the majority of OIC African Member States depend
on the export of a limited number of primary commodities, namely agricultural
ones. Africa is confronted by four key challenges: a global food crisis,
climate change, high energy prices and persistent poverty. Unfortunately, the
economies of the Sub-Sahara African countries have been growing for the past
three decades at a low rate, far behind the rest of the world. This phenomenon
has created problems such as illiteracy, malnutrition, disease and crime.
International food crisis further worsens the already deplorable conditions of
poor people in these countries.

Some OIC Member States have already undertaken measures to curb the phenomenon
and have allocated generous financial resources for this purpose.

I would like to draw your attention to the need for persevere in implementing
the provisions of the Ten-Year Programme of Action adopted at the Mecca
Extraordinary Summit in December 2005. We have paid special attention to align
the priorities of this programme with those of UN Millennium Development Goals.

Towards implementing the OIC Ten Year Programme of Action a special fund
entitled the “Islamic Solidarity Fund for Development” (ISFD) was established
within the IDB with U$10 billion in financial resources to alleviate poverty,
eliminate illiteracy and eradicate deceases and epidemics in OIC Member States.
The Fund initiated formal operations in 2008 and its objectives are linked
directly to supporting the achievement of the United Nations' Millennium
Development Goals. As such, the Fund is focused on combating poverty in the
poorest OIC member states with 80% of the allocation dedicated to sub-Saharan
Africa; combating pockets of poverty in other member states in also a priority.

The OIC Ten Year Programme of Action has also called for adoption of a Special
Programme for the Development of Africa. In line with this, in 2008, the IDB
developed a Special Programme for the Development of Africa (SPDA), which will
cover a wider range of sectors and activities including human development,
agricultural development and food security, infrastructure development, private
sector development etc. The cumulative flow of financing resources for the SPDA
is approximately US$12 billion.

Some OIC Member States are individually extending support to Africa’s
sustainable development challenges and needs through certain programmes and
projects.

As I have said many times in my former speeches, the TYPOA is the blueprint for
the development of the Muslim world on all fronts. Although good progress has
been achieved at the level of OIC institutions, only limited progress on its
implementation has been accomplished at the level of the commitments of Member
States. In a few months, we will be completing the third year of the adoption
of the TYPOA. I would like, on this occasion, to appeal to you to kindly lend
the question of implementing the program your utmost care and attention in
order to permit us to consolidate Joint Islamic Action as the real locomotive
for our progress and development. This effort necessitates your personal
intervention through innovative initiatives and result-oriented actions to
reverse the present trend of slow movement and move forward with the required
vigour towards its proactive implementation.

Honourable Ministers,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

Allow me at this juncture to dwell on a subject which threatens to affect many
Muslims, the world over, with significant impact on the Western world.

Islamophobia has been present in Western culture for several centuries. It has
taken different forms at different times and in different contexts. Nowadays,
many Western observers believe that Islamophobia is gearing towards becoming a
form of racism and not a mere “dislike” to a certain culture. Credible Western
sources believe that Islamophobia has become so entrenched and widespread that
it may be more prevalent and dominant than racial abuse and discrimination.
Another trend in the mounting surge of Islamophobia is the so-called
“Institutional Islamophobia” which consist of avoiding the use of the words
like racism or discrimination in the reports of the specialized Western
institutions, and replacing these words by the word “Islamophobia”, in a bid to
dilute or disguise the sense of racism or discrimination which incur punishment
under the prevailing international laws and instruments dealing with racism and
discrimination. It is an attempt to deny the existence of discrimination
against Muslims, and conceal it under deceptive expressions.

The success of the OIC Groups in New York and Geneva in passing resolutions on
the defamation of religion at the UN General Assembly and the UN Human Rights
Council, on defamation of religion has fuelled the wrath and the fear of many
in the West against Islam and the Muslim world. Orchestrated campaigns of false
accusations and insults were quick to appear on the pages of the Western media,
and even in the Chambers of the U.S. Congress against the OIC and OIC Groups in
UN in New York and Geneva. It is expected that strong pressures will be put on
the UN Member States to avert any future attempt of adopting similar UN
resolutions in the future.

The allegation that the OIC wants to criminalize Christianity at the UN by
making a reference to Cairo Declaration on Human Rights is an utter lie that
does not stand for the solid record of Islam’s tolerant and friendly position
towards the revealed religions and Christianity in particular. Under Islamic
rule Churches are built next to Mosques in total harmony all over the Muslim
world.

I would like, at this juncture, to thank the Member States that responded to my
letter seeking advice and guidance on how best to deal with the present
predicament. Your valuable contribution was duly recorded and it will be taken
into consideration when we will consider this matter in the future.

I seize this opportunity to, once again, invite your kind attention to this
pandemic culture which poses a direct and dangerous threat to the Islamic
faith, and to the well being of Muslims and their physical safety. I would like
to reiterate, once again, that a collective and strong action by the OIC Member
States should be taken at the highest level and as quickly as possible to focus
attention on this eminent danger.

Moreover, some circles in the West are exerting great efforts to block the
adoption of the resolution on the defamation of religion which was introduced
by the OIC Groups in New York and Geneva. They object to the word defamation of
religion and argue that defamation of religion has no place under the notion of
human rights, because rights can be evoked in the case of incitement to hatred
and discrimination against a person or a group of persons only and not against
an idea or an abstract matter.

This matter should be duly debated and studied to see if a compromise on this
issue can be reached to bring these circles on board with us, such that they
commit to abide by the provisions of international law which prohibits
incitement to hatred.

I would also highly appreciate it if you could consider instructing your heads
of missions in Europe and the US to take this issue up at the highest possible
level with the officials to explain what the OIC stands for as an
intergovernmental organisation that serves the interests of the Muslim world in
accordance with the decisions and resolutions adopted by its official organs.

The OIC campaign in combating Islamophobia was and still draws on the resources
of international law like the Universal Declaration on Human Rights and a score
of International Conventions and Treaties dealing with human rights, as well as
the reports and the findings of Western specialized institutions in this
domain. At no time has the OIC or the OIC Group denigrated Christianity or
tried to silence freedom of expression.

Your Excellencies,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

It is regrettable to say that the stalemate in Palestine between the
Palestinian groups persists, despite the commendable and strenuous efforts
exerted by some neighbouring countries. This situation is of such a nature that
it distracts the focus of the world away from their just cause.

In Iraq, we have opened an OIC Office in Baghdad. We are more optimistic about
the visible improvement on the security issue, and in strengthening the role of
the Iraqi Government in handling the affairs of the state. We hope that the
development of the situation there will be conducive to all the people of Iraq
to reclaim their sovereignty over all their territory and to decide their
political future in a free and sovereign manner.

As we support the initiative for rapprochement between Pakistan and India, we
hope that the new climate prevailing in relations between the two countries
will be conducive to reaching a solution for this old conflict in a manner that
safeguards the inalienable rights of the Kashmiri people in accordance with the
relevant UN Security Council resolutions.

Honourable Ministers,
Ladies and Gentlemen,

The main purpose of this coordinating meeting is to give the honourable
Ministers and heads of delegations the opportunity to coordinate their efforts
and unify their stands as closely as possible on the important issues on the
agenda of the General Assembly, particularly those issues that have a bearing
on the Muslim world.

This important meeting and other regular meetings convened throughout the year,
play a significant role in streamlining our activities and coordinating our
stands on issues. Despite our relative success, I think that the challenges
confronting us are still daunting if not increasing with the onslaught of
Islamophobia assuming greater prominence on the global stage. Our method to
combat this scourge is through solidarity in our actions and the unity of our
ranks. We have managed in the past few years to carry the day here in this very
platform, through our common and unified action. And I think that what awaits
us tomorrow could only be addressed with the same determination and insistence
to safeguard our rights and defend our causes. I have no doubt that, God
willing, we will be able to rise to that challenge.

Thank you.

See also

  a.. OIC Secretary General Calls for Resolutions on Unified Hejri Calendar to
be observed
  b.. Ihsanoglu and Secretary Rice Discuss OIC – US Relations in New York
  c.. OIC Secretary General Condemns The Terrorist Bomb Attack In Damascus.
  d.. The Message of the OIC Secretary General on the occasion of the End of
holy month of Ramadan and auspicious event of advent of Eid Al Fitr
  e.. Oic Foreign Ministers’ coordination meeting in New York
  f.. Ihsanoglu meets Foreign Ministers of Jordan and Comoros in New York
  g.. High Level UN-OIC Meeting To Review Mutual Relations.
  h.. Ihsanoglu Meets With Foreign Ministers Of Malaysia And Sierra Leone In
New York
  i.. Ihsanoglu meets Egyptian Foreign Minister Abulgaidh and chairs the
contact committees in New York
  j.. OIC Chief Attends

<<seperate_line_long_01.gif>>

<<printer_icon_01.gif>>