Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri:
  Allah's Apostle addressed the people saying, "Allah has given option to a
slave to choose this world or what is with Him. The slave has chosen what is
with Allah." Abu Bakr wept, and we were astonished at his weeping caused by
what the Prophet mentioned as to a Slave ( of Allah) who had been offered a
choice, (we learned later on) that Allah's Apostle himself was the person who
was given the choice, and that Abu Bakr knew best of all of us. Allah's Apostle
added, "The person who has favored me most of all both with his company and
wealth, is Abu Bakr. If I were to take a Khalil other than my Lord, I would
have taken Abu Bakr as such, but (what relates us) is the Islamic brotherhood
and friendliness. All the gates of the Mosque should be closed except the gate
of Abu Bakr."

  Sahi Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 57, Number 6

Narrated Aiyub:
  The Prophet said,

  "If I were to take a Khalil, I would have taken him (i.e. Abu Bakr) as a
Khalil, but the Islamic brotherhood is better."

  Sahi Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 57, Number 9

Narrated Jubair bin Mutim:

  A woman came to the Prophet who ordered her to return to him again. She said,
"What if I came and did not find you?" as if she wanted to say, "If I found you
dead?" The Prophet said, "If you should not find me, go to Abu Bakr."

  Sahi Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 57, Number 11

Narrated Abu Ad-Darda:

  While I was sitting with the Prophet, Abu Bakr came, lifting up one corner of
h is garment uncovering h is knee. The Prophet said, "Your companion has had a
quarrel." Abu Bakr greeted (the Prophet ) and said, "O Allah's Apostle! There
was something (i.e. quarrel) between me and the Son of Al-Khattab. I talked to
him harshly and then regretted that, and requested him to forgive me, but he
refused. This is why I have come to you." The Prophet said thrice, "O Abu Bakr!
May Allah forgive you." In the meanwhile, 'Umar regretted (his refusal of Abu
Bakr's excuse) and went to Abu Bakr's house and asked if Abu Bakr was there.
They replied in the negative. So he came to the Prophet and greeted him, but
signs of displeasure appeared on the face of the Prophet till Abu Bakr pitied
('Umar), so he knelt and said twice, "O Allah's Apostle! By Allah! I was more
unjust to him (than he to me)." The Prophet said, "Allah sent me (as a Prophet)
to you (people) but you said (to me), 'You are telling a lie,' while Abu Bakr
said, 'He has said the truth,' and consoled me with himself and his money." He
then said twice, "Won't you then give up harming my companion?" After that
nobody harmed Abu Bakr.

  Sahi Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 57, Number 13

Narrated 'Amr bin Al-As:
  The Prophet deputed me to lead the Army of Dhat-as-Salasil. I came to him and
said, "Who is the most beloved person to you?" He said, " 'Aisha." I asked,
"Among the men?" He said, "Her father." I said, "Who then?" He said, "Then
'Umar bin Al-Khattab." He then named other men.

  Sahi Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 57, Number 14