12. The Ideal Muslimah: Characteristics of the Ideal Muslim Woman According to
the Qur’an and the Sunnah

The IDEAL MUSLIMAH
The True Islamic Personality of the Muslim Woman
as Defined in the Qur'an and Sunnah

By  Dr. Muhammad ‘Ali Al-Hashimi
Translated by Nasiruddin Al-Khattab and Revised by Ibrahim
M. Kunna and Abu Aya Sulaiman Abdus-Sabur

Copyright and published by the International Islâmic Publishing House (IIPH),
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia in 1999.

The Ideal Muslimah: the true Islamic personality of the Muslim woman as defined
in the Qur'an and Sunnah
The Ideal Muslimah  is proud of the great position that Islam has given her
among humanity. She performs her duties knowing that her role is clearly
defined and that her rights are still, even today, greater than any other
ideology has provided. She is a woman of moral excellence, true to her nature,
not confused by alien and morally bankrupt ideas. She preserves her
self-respect and dignity through her piety in obedience to Allah (swt) and His
Messenger (saw). She is the role model that every true believer hopes to
emulate.

Chapter 5: The Muslim Woman  and Her Children

She does not discriminate between sons and daughters her affection and care

The true Muslim woman does not discriminate between her sons and daughters in
her affection and car, as do some women who are not free from the effects of a
jahili mentality. She is fair to all her children, boys and girls alike, and
cares for them all with compassion and love. She understands that children are
a gift from Allah (S.W.T.), and that Allah’s (S.W.T.) gift, be it of sons or
daughters, cannot be rejected or changed:

“... He bestows [children] male or female according to His Will [and Plan], or
He bestows both males and females, and He leaves barren Whom He will: for He is
full of knowledge and power.” (Qur‘an 42:49-50)

The Muslim woman who is truly guided by her religion does not forget the great
reward that Allah (S.W.T.) has prepared for the one who brings up daughters and
takes care of them properly, as is stated in numerous sahih hadith, for example
the hadith narrated by Bukhari from `A‘ishah (May Allah be pleased with her) in
which she says:

“A woman came to me with her two daughters and asked me (for charity). She
found that I had nothing except for a single date, which I gave to her. She
took it and divided it between her two daughters, and did not eat any of it
herself, then she got up and left with her daughters. The Prophet (s.a.w.s.)
came in and I told him what had happened.

The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said, “Whoever is tested with daughters and treats them
well, they will be for him a shield against the Fire of Hell.” 15

According to another report narrated by Muslim from `A‘ishah (May Allah be
pleased with her), she said:

“A poor woman came to me carrying her two daughters. I gave her three dates to
eat. She gave each child a date, and raised the third to her own mouth to eat
it. Her daughters asked her to give it to them, so she split the date that she
had wanted to eat between them. I was impressed by what she had done, and told
the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.s.) about it. He said, “Allah (S.W.T.) has
decreed Paradise for her because of it," or, “He has saved her from Hell
because of it.” 16

Abu Hurayrah (r.a.)  reported that the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said:

“Whoever has three daughters, and shelters them, bearing their joys and sorrows
with patience, Allah (S.W.T.) will admit him to Paradise by virtue of his
compassion towards them.” A man asked, “What if he has only two, O Messenger of
Allah?" He said, “Even if they are only two.” Another man asked, “What if he
has only one, O Messenger of Allah?" He said, “Even if he has only one.” 17

Ibn `Abbas (r.a.)  said:

“The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.s.) said: `Whoever had a daughter born to him,
and he did not bury her alive or humiliate her, and he did not prefer his son
over her, Allah (S.W.T.) will admit him to Paradise because of her.” 18

The Prophet’s compassion extended to females, and included sisters as well as
daughters, as is seen in the hadith narrated by Bukhari in al-Adab al-Mufrad
from Abu Sa`id al-Khudri, who said:

“The Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said: `There is no-one who has three daughters, or
three sisters, and he treats them well, but Allah (S.W.T.) will admit him to
Paradise.” 19

According to a report given by al-Tabarani, the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) said:

“There is no one among my ummah who has three daughters, or three sisters, and
he supports them until they are grown up, but he will be with me in Paradise
like this -" and he held up his index and middle fingers together.20

No wise mother complains about bringing up daughters, or prefers her sons over
them, if she listens to the teachings of the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) which raise the
status of daughters and promise Paradise as wide as heaven and earth and the
company of the Prophet (s.a.w.s.) to the one who brings them up and treats them
properly!

In the Muslim family, and in the true Islamic society, girls are protected,
loved and respected. In the warm bosom of her parents -especially her mother -
a girl will always find protection and care, no matter how long she stays in
the home of her parents, brothers or other family members who should support
her, whether she is married or not. Islam has guaranteed girls a life of
protection, pride and support, and has spared them from a life of humiliation,
need, want and having to earn a living, such as is the lot of women living in
societies that have gone astray from the guidance of Allah (S.W.T.). In those
countries, a girl barely reaches the age of eighteen before she leaves the
comfort of her parents‘ home to face the hardships of a life filled with
difficulties and risks at the time when she is most in need of protection,
compassion and care.

There is a huge difference between the laws of Allah (S.W.T.), which came to
bring happiness to mankind, and the imperfect man-made laws which cause nothing
but misery.

It comes as no surprise that in the West, as a result of these materialistic
laws, we see armies of promiscuous young men and hordes of unfortunate,
miserable, unmarried young mothers, the numbers of which are increasing
exponentially day by day.

15. (Bukhari and Muslim), See Sharh al-Sunnah, 6/187, Kitab al-zakah, bab fadl
al-sadaqah ‘ala‘l-awlad wa‘l-aqarib.
16. Sahih Muslim, 16/179, Kitab al-birr wa‘l-silah, bab al-ihsan ila‘l-banat.
17. Reported by Ahmad, 2/335 and al-Hakim, 4/176, Kitab al-birr wa‘l-silah. He
said: its isnad is sahih.
18. Reported by al-Hakim in al-Mustadrak 4/177, Kitab al-birr wa‘l-silah. He
said: its isnad is sahih
19. Reported by Bukhari in al-Adab al-Mufrad, 1/162, bab man ‘ala thalatha
ihkawat.
20. Reported by al-Tabarani in al-Awsat with two isnads; the narrators of the
first isnad are rijal al-sahih. See Majma‘ al-Zawa‘id, 8/157.

Radheetu billahee Rabban wa bil'Islaami deenan wa bi-Muhammadin (SAW) aNabiyyan