Finds formula to explain and simplify Bernoulli numbers

Iraq-born teen solves 300-year old math puzzle

STOCKHOLM (AFP)

A 16-year-old Iraqi immigrant living in Sweden was the youngest student to
solve a math puzzle that has stumped experts for more than 300 years, Swedish
media reported last week.

In just four months, Mohamed Altoumaimi found a formula to explain and simplify
the so-called Bernoulli numbers, a sequence of calculations connected to numbe
theory named after the 17th century Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli, the
Dagens Nyheter daily said.

Altoumaimi, who came to Sweden six years ago, said teachers at his high school
in Falun, central Sweden were not convinced about his work at first.

"When I first showed it to my teachers, none of them thought the formula I had
written down really worked," Altoumaimi told the Falu Kuriren newspaper.

He then got in touch with professors at Uppsala University, one of Sweden's top
institutions, to ask them to check his work. After going through his notebooks,
the professors found his work was indeed correct.

Although the Bernoulli numbers formula had previously been solved,
Altourmaimi's solution was praised because of his young age and school level,
the paper reported.

Lindahs said that Altoumaimi is a very gifted student and found it remarkable
that a high scool student was able to solve the puzzle.

"It's really exciting, now all the teachers have come and congratulated me,"
the teen said of the response to his formula.

Altoumaimi plans to take summer classes in advanced mathematics and physics
this year.

"I wanted to be a researcher in physics or mathematics; I really like those
subjects. But I have to improve in English and social sciences," he told the
Falu Kuriren.