It looks like all(), any(), and none() examine all lanes regardless if
those lanes are active or not.  For example,

    if (programIndex < 4) {
        if (all(programIndex < 4)) {
            print("all lanes are less than 4\n");
        } else {
            print("all lanes are not less than 4\n");
        }
    }

will output:

all lanes are not less than 4

This behavior is usually inconvenient.  When using all(), I'm generally
thinking all of my active lanes - the inactive lanes often contain
irrelevant values.  Is there a rationale for all(), any(), or none() to
operate on all lanes, regardless of mask?

-brian