marinelay opened a new issue, #51628:
URL: https://github.com/apache/arrow/issues/51628
### Describe the bug, including details regarding any error messages,
version, and platform.
### Summary
`pyarrow.compute.FunctionOptions` can be constructed without arguments, and
calling `serialize()` on that object terminates the interpreter.
I found this while fuzzing Python C extension modules.
I realize the base class is probably not meant to be used directly, but I
would expect a Python exception rather than a process crash.
### Versions
PyArrow 25.0.1, CPython 3.12.3, Debian 12 x86_64, glibc 2.36
PyArrow 25.0.1, CPython 3.13.5, macOS x86_64
### Reproducer
```python
import pyarrow.compute as pc
pc.FunctionOptions().serialize()
```
```console
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
```
This is a different entry point from #51041, which covers
`FunctionOptions.deserialize()` on non-`Buffer` arguments.
### ASan/UBSan result
I built PyArrow 25.0.0 from source with Clang 18 using ASan and UBSan
instrumentation.
ASan reports a read from address `0x28` while the generated
`FunctionOptions.serialize()` wrapper is adding its traceback:
```text
AddressSanitizer:DEADLYSIGNAL
ERROR: AddressSanitizer: SEGV on unknown address 0x000000000028
The signal is caused by a READ memory access.
Hint: address points to the zero page.
#0 PyException_GetTraceback
#1 PyTraceBack_Here
#2 __Pyx_AddTraceback(...)
build/_compute.cpp:102581:5
#3 pyarrow.compute.FunctionOptions.serialize(...)
build/_compute.cpp:23014:3
SUMMARY: AddressSanitizer: SEGV in PyException_GetTraceback
```
The sanitizer process exits with code 1 after ASan aborts.
UBSan does not emit a separate diagnostic before the ASan failure.
### Component(s)
Python
--
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]
For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]