[ 
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-40571?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=18120045#comment-18120045
 ] 

Martijn Visser commented on FLINK-40571:
----------------------------------------

Six more nightlies, on master and release-2.3:

master, 2026-09-27 (Java 21): 
https://github.com/apache/flink/actions/runs/36287526624/job/108532104950
master, 2026-09-27 (Java 11): 
https://github.com/apache/flink/actions/runs/36287526624/job/108532210106
master, 2026-09-28 (AdaptiveScheduler): 
https://github.com/apache/flink/actions/runs/36368771571/job/108763928524
release-2.3, 2026-09-25 (Java 21): 
https://github.com/apache/flink/actions/runs/36084551382/job/107923114161
release-2.3, 2026-09-27 (Java 11): 
https://github.com/apache/flink/actions/runs/36287526040/job/108535567390
release-2.3, 2026-09-28 (Java 11): 
https://github.com/apache/flink/actions/runs/36368773072/job/108772870450
release-2.3, 2026-09-28 (test_cron_azure): 
https://dev.azure.com/apache-flink/98463496-1af2-4620-8eab-a2ecc1a2e6fe/_build/results?buildId=79497&view=logs&j=a9db68b9-a7e0-54b6-0f98-010e0aff39e2

{code}
[ERROR] 
org.apache.flink.table.planner.plan.nodes.exec.stream.ProcessTableFunctionSemanticTests.runSteps(TableTestProgram)[60]
 -- Time elapsed: 0.317 s <<< FAILURE!
java.lang.AssertionError:
[process-stateful-multi-input-with-timeout]                                     
                                                                                
                     Expecting actual:
  ["+I[Bob, Bob, 6 score in city London, 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z]",
    "+I[Alice, Alice, no city found for score 1, 1970-01-01T00:00:01.001Z]"]
to contain exactly in any order:
  ["+I[Bob, Bob, 1 score in city London, 1970-01-01T00:00:00Z]",
    "+I[Bob, Bob, 2 score in city London, 1970-01-01T00:00:00.002Z]",
    "+I[Bob, Bob, 3 score in city London, 1970-01-01T00:00:00.003Z]",
    "+I[Bob, Bob, 4 score in city London, 1970-01-01T00:00:00.004Z]",
    "+I[Bob, Bob, 5 score in city London, 1970-01-01T00:00:00.005Z]",
    "+I[Bob, Bob, 6 score in city London, 1970-01-01T00:00:00.006Z]",
    "+I[Alice, Alice, no city found for score 1, 1970-01-01T00:00:01.001Z]"]
{code}

It is [63] on master and [60] on release-2.3. Seven of the 37 nightlies on 
master, release-2.3 and release-2.2 hit it in the last week, none of the 67 
push runs.

> ProcessTableFunctionSemanticTests[process-stateful-multi-input-with-timeout] 
> is flaky on master
> -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: FLINK-40571
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/FLINK-40571
>             Project: Flink
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: Table SQL / Planner
>    Affects Versions: 2.4.0
>            Reporter: Purushottam Sinha
>            Assignee: Pedro Mázala
>            Priority: Major
>              Labels: test-stability
>
> h3. Problem
> {{ProcessTableFunctionSemanticTests}} is flaky on master for the 
> {{process-stateful-multi-input-with-timeout}} program. It runs the two-input 
> {{TimedJoinFunction}} with {{on_time => DESCRIPTOR(ts)}} but no {{ORDER BY}}, 
> and asserts an exact append changelog. Per the {{ProcessTableFunction}} 
> contract, {{on_time}} "does NOT affect the processing order of rows", so the 
> two inputs may reach {{eval()}} in any interleaving. The pinned expectation 
> only matches the common interleaving.
> h3. Evidence
> * master run 
> [https://github.com/apache/flink/actions/runs/34019180875/job/101449611519] 
> (module: table, commit {{ca6e927}}) — {{runSteps(TableTestProgram)[63]}} 
> {{[process-stateful-multi-input-with-timeout]}}.
> * Failing assertion:
> {noformat}
> missing:  +I[Bob, Bob, 1 score in city London, ...T00:00:00Z],
>           +I[Bob, Bob, 2 score in city London, ...00.002Z],
>           +I[Bob, Bob, 3 score in city London, ...00.003Z]
> extra:    +I[Bob, Bob, 3 score in city London, ...T00:00:00Z]
> {noformat}
> * Root cause: when {{city@0}} is processed after 
> {{score1@0/score2@2/score3@3}}, the single-value {{score}} state keeps only 
> score 3; the join then emits at the city row's timestamp ({{@0}}). Scores 1/2 
> are lost. This is a valid outcome for that (unordered) interleaving.
> h3. Notes
> * Sibling of FLINK-40568, but the fix there (assert materialized data) does 
> NOT apply here: the output is append-only with no convergent view, so 
> materializing changes nothing.
> * Fixing this needs a redesign so the assertion no longer depends on 
> cross-input arrival order (e.g., assert only the order-independent timeout 
> path, or restructure the data). Best decided by a PTF-test owner.



--
This message was sent by Atlassian Jira
(v8.20.10#820010)

Reply via email to