RECENT "NOTICES INVITING APPLICATIONS" (grant opportunities)
     from the U.S. Department of Education (published in the
     Federal Register) include those related to:

       *  National Institute on Disability & Rehabilitation
          Research  -- CFDA# 84.224C

       *  New Rehabilitation Engineering Research Centers -- CFDA#
          84-133E

       *  American Indian & Alaska Native Education Research Grant
          Program -- CFDA# 84.306N

     These & other notices can be found at:

          http://www.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister/announcements/

     FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION about Department funding
     opportunities, including discretionary grant application
     packages, please see:

          http://www.ed.gov/funding.html

     BELOW ARE the purposes, eligible applicants, availability &
     closing dates, available funds, estimated size, & number of
     awards for these programs.  For more complete information &
     the contact individual for each opportunity, please see the
     notice; however, please note that while we *try* to ensure
     that the version on the web & the Federal Register notice are
     the same, the Federal Register notice is the one to consult
     for complete & authoritative information.

  National Institute on Disability & Rehabilitation Research
  (Federal Register: June 13, 2001 [CFDA# 84.224C])
Purpose of the Program: The Alternative Financing Program (AFP)
created a new Federal program to pay a share of the cost of the
establishment or expansion, & administration of, an alternative
financing program for assistive technology (AT).  We take this
action in order to award one year grants or cooperative agreements
to States & outlying areas to establish or maintain alternative
financing projects to increase access AT for individuals with
disabilities.  Currently, major service programs such as Medicaid,
special education, vocational rehabilitation, & to a limited
extent, Medicare, provide AT devices & services for eligible
individuals.  In some instances, individuals with disabilities
purchase AT with private funds however, many individuals & their
families do not have the necessary resources to obtain the AT they
need.  Loan programs offer individuals with disabilities attractive
options that significantly enhance their access to AT.
    Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: August 14, 2001.
    Application Available: June 15, 2001.
    Estimated Number of Awards: 20.
    Award Amount: Program minimum: none; Program maximum: none.
    Pre-Application Meeting: Interested parties are invited to
participate in a pre-application meeting to discuss the funding
priorities for the AFP & to receive technical assistance through
individual consultation & information about the funding priority.
The pre-application meeting will be held on July 10, 2001.  You may
attend either in person or by conference call at the Department of
Education, Office of Special Education & Rehabilitative Services,
Switzer Building, Room 3065, 330 C St. SW, Washington, DC between
10:00 a.m. & 12 noon.

    Additional Information: Applicable regulations, priorities,
contacts, & other information are available in the Federal Register
notice.

Additional information is available online at:
     http://www.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister/announcements/
     2001-2/061301a.html

  New Rehabilitation Engineering Research Centers (Federal
  Register: June 15, 2001 [CFDA# 84-133E])
Eligible Applicants: Parties eligible to apply for grants under
this program are States, public or private agencies, including for-
profit agencies, public or private organizations, including for-
profit organizations, institutions of higher education, & Indian
tribes & tribal organizations.

 >> Funding priority: 84.133E-1  Technology for Successful Aging
    Deadline for transmittal of applications: August 13, 2001
    Estimated number of awards: 1
    Maximum award amount (per year): $900,000

 >> Funding priority: 84.133E-3  Wheelchair Transportation Safety
    Deadline for transmittal of applications: August 13, 2001
    Estimated number of awards: 1
    Maximum award amount (per year): $900,000

 >> Funding priority: 84.133E-8  Mobile Wireless Technologies for
Persons with Disabilities
    Deadline for transmittal of applications: August 13, 2001
    Estimated number of awards: 1
    Maximum award amount (per year): $1,000,000

    Pre-Application Meeting: Interested parties are invited to
participate in a pre-application meeting to discuss the funding
priorities & to receive technical assistance through individual
consultation & information about the funding priorities.  The
meeting will be held on July 12, 2001 you may attend either in
person or by conference call at the Department of Education, Office
of Special Education & Rehabilitative Services, Switzer Building,
Room 3065, 330 C St. SW., Washington, DC between 10 a.m. & 12 noon.
    Additional Information: Applicable regulations, selection
criteria, contacts, & other information are available in the
Federal Register notice.

Additional information is available online at:
     http://www.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister/announcements/
     2001-2/061501e.html

The complete application is available online at:
     http://www.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister/announcements/
     2001-2/061501e.pdf

  American Indian & Alaska Native Education Research Grant Program
  (Federal Register: June 15, 2001 [CFDA# 84.306N])
Purpose of Program: The purpose of the American Indian & Alaska
Native (AIAN) Education Research Grant Program is to fund research,
evaluation, & data collection to provide information on the status
of education for the Indian population & on the effectiveness of
Indian Education Programs.  For FY 2001 the competition for new
awards focuses on projects designed to meet the absolute priority
published elsewhere in this issue of the Federal Register.
    Eligible Applicants: Indian Tribes, Indian organizations, State
education agencies, local education agencies, institutions of
higher education, including Indian institutions of higher
education, & other public & private agencies & institutions, or a
consortium of these institutions that meet the requirements of 34
CFR 75.127 through 75.129 of EDGAR.
    Applications Available: June 29, 2001 for hardcopies.
    Deadline for Transmittal of Applications: July 30, 2001.
    Estimated Available Funds: Approximately $1.4 million.
    Estimated Range of Awards: The size of the awards will be
commensurate with the nature & scope of the work proposed.
    Estimated Number of Awards: 5.

    Additional Information: Applicable regulations, priorities,
contacts, & other information are available in the Federal Register
notice.

Additional information is available online at:
     http://www.ed.gov/legislation/FedRegister/announcements/
     2001-2/061501b.html

          Peter Kickbush
          U.S. Department of Education