Many of you know that I'm a big advocate of using technology in the science
classroom, particularly using probes and sensors. I was able to scrounge
enough materials and training for my room over the years, and it completely
changed my classroom. Kids loved it, and learned much more science than
before.

Below is sample test from a proposal forwarded to me from Jane Jackson at
ASU. Since the school year is beginning, now's the time to lobby principals,
parents, community groups, and foundations for funding. I'm happy to help
with your efforts--just email me off list.

-ML

SAMPLE PROPOSAL FOR CLASSROOM TECHNOLOGY

This proposal is adapted from one written by Allison Lide, a high school
physics teacher and modeler from Ohio who now teaches in Kathmandu Nepal.
Allison submitted it to a local educational foundation and to her parents'
organization (PTA). She was awarded 4 complete computer workstations,
including the computers! Her school later added more workstations. Her
proposals included giving an oral presentation to the PTA.

Description of Proposal
This proposal is requesting funds to partially equip a science lab with lab
interfacing equipment in order to implement an innovative, highly
successful physics instruction methodology called the Modeling Method.
        Traditional physics instruction generally consists of lectures, and
memorization of reams of formulas that are often meaningless to students;
students rarely achieve more than a minimal understanding or appreciation
of physics concepts or the science of physics.
        A much more effective way for students to gain a deeper
understanding of physics concepts is to target the students' misconceptions
about the rules governing physical phenomena.  By giving students the
technological tools for investigating and exploring, students can develop a
model of a phenomena.  In the Modeling Method, very simply, students design
an experiment, and then use the computer interface to gather and analyze
the data from the experiment.  The computer interface allows the taking of
data such as distance, force, velocity, time and much more, all in
real-time, through the use of sensors/probes that take the measurements.
This kind of instant feedback results in students developing a much deeper,
more realistic understanding of the physics involved.
        From this data-taking and analysis, students construct an accurate
mathematical model of the phenomena.  In this method of instruction,
students are dynamically engaged in their own learning, resulting in a
thorough understanding of the concepts of physics.  Student involvement is
the guiding principle behind the Modeling Method, a teaching method that
has been developed and researched at Arizona State University (ASU) for the
last fifteen years. In 2000 and 2001 Modeling Instruction was designated an
exemplary K-12 science program and a promising K-12 educational technology
program by the U.S. Department of Education.

        In summer 2001 I learned the Modeling Method by participating in an
intensive __-week Modeling workshop in ------ for ---- University graduate
credit. [Ex. The university, my school, and -----] funded the Modeling
Workshop. However, participants must acquire the computer hardware and
software necessary for successful implementation.  The hardware
requirements entail one computer workstation for every three students, to
ensure accessibility for all students.  A workstation is comprised of one
computer and a lab interfacing system that includes at least the following
probes: 2 photogates, a motion detector, and a force probe.
        I am implementing the program and am pleased at my students'
enhanced learning. The program is well-supported, since follow-up and
listserv teacher networking are integral parts of the program, both in the
summer and throughout the school year.
        This proposal is requesting funds to purchase [ex. 7 motion
detectors] to implement Modeling Instruction in mechanics.

Benefits
        This instructional approach (using technology to develop an
understanding of concepts) has been proven to be highly successful, and
results in deeper student comprehension and greater enthusiasm.  Much of
this success is due to the high level of student investment in the learning
process, and the student-centered approach in instruction, as contrasted
with the lecture method, which is teacher-centered and results in
alienating many students from the sciences.
        Infusing technology into a science curriculum is imperative for
helping students become technology-literate beyond word processing.  This
method of technology-driven instruction ensures that students will be
comfortable with other innovative uses of technology, and will be
well-prepared for collegiate computer-based science labs.  In fact, using
this technology in high school will give many students an advantage in
college, as they will already be accustomed to taking and analyzing data
with computers.

Evaluation of the Project
        Evaluation of the Modeling Method is built into its implementation,
since --- University encourages extensive evaluation of the effectiveness
of the Modeling Method by means of pre- and post-instruction assessment of
students' conceptual understanding  of science.

Proposal Budget - Itemized Costs

This proposal is requesting [ex. $500 for motion detectors @ $-- each  +
tax, shipping and handling].