At 02:20 PM 4/4/2003 -0800, Rich McAneny wrote:
True, this does force ADOBE to regenerate this information.

Actually, that's the whole issue - it does NOT force Acrobat (Adobe is a company, they make many products). SOME versions of Adobe Acrobat will respect the /NeedAppearance key, others (mostly the 5.x series) will NOT. Also, since Acrobat 5.x will not always rebuild the appearance, AND it prefers the appearance over the actual form data, you may see data displayed that does NOT match the current value(s).

We have been using this method with another package
for a year or more with no noticable problems. We have
been using Reader 3 and 4 and Acrobat 4, but mostly
version 4 of each.

Acrobat 4 respects the NeedApperance key, Acrobat 5 does not (always).

Leonard