On Jan 28, 2008, at 7:27 AM, Stephan Michels wrote:

> Sorry, I mixed widows and orphans before. I always do :-/

        Yeah, big difference ;).

> The jusitfy alignment distributes only the available space in the row.
> But I want more space to get an additional row or two.

        Then I'd turn off "auto" justification for that paragraph and do it
yourself as necessary.  Be aware, however, that word spacing ONLY
works for Latin/Roman text and character spacing will screw up any
auto-kerning in place.   In fact, personally, I would avoid these two
operators all together and just look into more intelligent
justification algorithms.

> I can simply prevent orphans in a column if I check if the available
> height is smaller than e.g. 2 rows, then I put the paragraph into the
> next column.
> To prevent widows I have to adjust the character and word spacing so
> that I have an additional row. I know I can increase the c. and w.
> spacing only a little, just below the visibility, but sometimes it is
> enough to prevent the orphan.

        Why not implement this sort of stuff directly into iText (and then
provide a patch)??  By doing widow and orphan control internally, in
conjunction with a smarter justification algorithm that takes
vertical issues into consideration will just improve iText.

Leonard