Incremental/append works for ANY change to the PDF...

HOWEVER, Adobe Acrobat only enables the UI for "show revision" when a digital
signatures is involved.

From: Alexander Doyle [mailto:alexander.do...@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2010 9:46 AM
To: itext-questions@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [iText-questions] How to do an incremental update ?

Hi all,

I read in the PDF reference :
(2.2.7) : "PDF allows modifications to be appended to a file, leaving the
original data intact."
And :
(2.2.7) : "In addition, because the original contents of the document are still
present in the file, it is possible to undo saved changes by deleting one or
more addenda."
The reference insist on the requirement to recover the exact contents of an
original document especially when digital signatures have been applied.

I actually signed a document and was able to recover the original content. I
used the "append" mode of the PdfStamper class.
I tried to apply the same process with an AcroField other than a
SignatureField. It did not work. When I fill a TextField in "append" mode, the
new revision is not created, and thus I cannot extract the revision related to
the updated text field.

As the PDF reference does not mention that the incremental update must be
related only to AcroFields (I apologize if it actually does, I did not find
it), I also tried to insert a new page and to edit it while getting the "under
content" PdfContentByte. Despite the fact that I created the PdfStamper in
"append" mode, there is neither a newly created revision.

Can you please tell me where I made a mistake, or where there is a
misunderstanding from me ?

Thank you all.

Hotmail: Trusted email with powerful SPAM protection. Sign up
now.<https://signup.live.com/signup.aspx?id=60969>