Hi there Eric,
Thank you for looking at this - I just wanted to add my approval.

I certainly get the point about battery life. The project I am currently
working uses a background thread
to handle a websocket feed, which arrives every 10s or so. While an IupTimer
works, I run it at 10 times a
second while my collaborator thinks it should be 100 times a second, so it
consumes 100-1000 times as much
power as it needs to. All I need is a way for a background thread to say "oi"
when it has finished some
calculation, downloaded a file, or received a websocket message - maybe I might
want to be helpful and
include an IupHandle in the message, often not - it is the responsibility of
the main gui thread to map
any such events to specific gui elements, and quite often not a 1:1
relationship anyway.

Please ignore anyone who says "I don't need it so you can't have it" -  but,
obviously, it has to be a
solution that causes them no pain when/if it does go in, and your proposal
sounds just like that to me.

Pete