On Mar 23, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Victor Subervi wrote:

> Hi;
> According to the site docs:
>
> Note: IUS Packages replace stock RHEL packages, however they do not obsolete
> them.  Meaning, you can’t just ‘yum upgrade’ and get our packages… you need
> to first remove the stock RHEL package such as mysql, and replace it with the
> IUS package such as mysql51.
>
> Now, I don't want to wipe my current python installation; rather, I want to
> install a second python. Please advise.

Hey Victor,

We actually have two different package 'types'... Conflicting Replacement
Packages, and Parallel Installable Packages:

http://wiki.iuscommunity.org/Doc/ClientUsageGuide#Package_Types

The python26 and python31 packages are parallel installable and will not
disrupt your system version of Python.

---
BJ Dierkes
Linux Systems Engineer IV / [RH]acker