Greetings,

As some of you might already know, Red Hat is planning on offering new versions of popular software with its Red Hat Software Collections (RHSCL) [1]. They are planning on releasing some software versions that IUS already offers. This will impact IUS.

In the short term, we will need to rename some packages, as Red Hat will be providing python27, python33, php54 and mysql55. IUS intentionally names it's packages differently than Red Hat [2]. We are evaluating options and the front runner is to add a 'u' to the end of the package name. We did this when Red Hat released php53, and we renamed our package to php53u [3]. Please let us know if you have any ideas on how we can address this issue.

IUS was birthed out of the need for newer packages that Red Hat was not providing. Now that Red Hat will be providing that need, will RHSCL obsolete IUS? It is way too early to say and there are still alot of questions regarding RHSCL. Will CentOS (and the other clones) be offering these packages as well? How will Python and PHP modules get distributed...EPEL? How often will packages get minor and major upgrades? Will they be offering RHSCL for RHEL 5? Will there be additional cost to access the RHSCL channel? What concerns do you have regarding RHSCL?

I have started doing some initial testing with RHSCL. While I have only done very limited testing, RHSCL looks promising. If you have started testing RHSCL packages, we would like your input.

Please note that there no immediate plans to change IUS, but it is important that we start a conversation about RHSCL and IUS.

Ben Harper
OS Deployment Services, RPMDEV
Rackspace Hosting & IUS Community

[1] https://www.redhat.com/about/news/archive/2013/6/red-hat-software-collections-1.0-beta-now-available