John,

This is looking good - I'm definitely seeing a significant drop in X
CPU for some video but not all. It also seems to depend on using
mplayer -

When playing a 720x576 vob, I see this:

App 'app CPU' 'X CPU'
mplayer 15% 35%
xine        12% 45%

When playing a 688x416 XVID, I see this:

xine        14% 25%
mplayer 10%   5%

Here are the options I'm using:
% mplayer -fs -v -monitoraspect 16:9
% xine -f --verbose -r 4:3

Playing a 480 avi gave me very low X CPU usage with mplayer (1-2%) but
about 14% under xine. Both apps are using Xv, xdriver 0.10.6 and svn
2757 for these tests.

All of this made me wonder about the recommended configuration for use
of Xv. John (or others), do you have any such recommendations or
should we just figure it out using trial-and-error?

Cheers,
Wilf.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] | MythTV blog: http://mezzanines.blogspot.com/