| From: Hans Verkuil <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

| I've been thinking on how to handle compatibility with older kernels in the
| 0.5 series. The problem is that to stay backwards compatible requires keeping
| the supporting drivers (tuner, tveeprom, saa7115, etc) in the ivtv
| distribution. That sort of defeats the purpose of the 0.5 series.

I've an idea that seems so obvious that I must be missing something.
Could you explain where I've gone wrong?

Why not remove the drivers from IVTV.  Period.

Make a new package, perhaps called "ivtv-drivers", with the removed
drivers.

Keep maintaining the ivtv-drivers the way you had proposed maintaining
0.4.  Try to converge them with the other sources for drivers (kernel,
v4l) so that fewer and fewer folks need them.

Why this might be a better choice:

- most of the ivtv code remains in one code base, not two.
  + everyone tests the same code base
  + fixes get applied only once
  + divergence is avoided
  + abandonment is less likely

- there may be advantages to keeping an ivtv-drivers package under the
  wing of this project indefinitely:

  + it may be easier to try changes here (in advance of them moving
    "upstream" to v4l and the kernel)

  + it seems as if expertise on these drivers resides within this
    project