I work in the Webtools Project in Eclipse, and have for years produced
Xerces plugins  for each release of Xerces. (Which in turn is
used by other Eclipse plugins).

I'm about to do it again, but a little differently ... using an "exploded
jar" in an OSGi bundle.  In the simplest case, I'd just create a bundle
for
every jar in Xerces. This especially makes sense in the cases of
xml-apis.jar and xercesImpl.jar since, by design, someone may want to use
the APIs, but
provide their own implementation.

The other two jars are less obvious to me, resolver.jar and the "new"
serializer.jar. Are these jars separate for some conceptual or
distribution reason?
For example, do some people use only the resolver all by itself? Or, do
they "swap in" their own version of resolver.jar? Or, are they separate
just due to
historical and build reasons, and that conceptually, they could just be
part of xercesImpl.jar?

Thanks,