Michael,
I have a problem with extra lines after the root element (which increase by each time I repeat the process from XML to Dom and back (using the writeToString method)
Also the opening of the root is on the same line as the xml declaration.

Starting with:
<?xml version="1.0"?><root><child1>text</child1><child2>text</ child2></root>
Here a print of the output:
<?xml version="1.0" ?><root>
   <child1>text</child1>
   <child2>text</child2>
</root>
<?xml version="1.0" ?><root>

<child1>text</child1>
   <child2>text</child2>
</root>
<?xml version="1.0" ?><root>

<child1>text</child1>
   <child2>text</child2>
</root>

At the moment I can not reproduce it on MacOs, but It happens om Windows.
As soon as I change to the Xerces serializer the output is OK.

By the way:
Can I make a JIRA request regarding to the entity reference issue for attributes. Maybe it is worth reconsidering the made design decision. A similar implementation as in elements, with a property setting, would solve this problem.

Dick Deneer

Op 18-feb-2007, om 0:29 heeft Michael Glavassevich het volgende geschreven:

Dick Deneer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 02/17/2007
06:16:34 PM:

Michael,

Thanks for your analysis.
It looks like going to the DOM and storing the original entity
references will not be the problem, but the way back is not possible.
By the way: I am still using the deprecated Xerces serializer because
of a problem with pretty-print in the Xalan one.

Out of curiosity, what problem is that?

I will think again what to do.

Thanks
Dick Deneer