I believe they got uploaded by other ASF committers / members so they're
official in that sense. It just wasn't done by Xerces developers.

There was no policy decision. It's more of a motivation issue. The
developers (past and present) haven't shown much interest in Maven. Of
course anyone interested is welcome to drive it. Just needs a volunteer to
do the work.

Thanks.

Michael Glavassevich
XML Technologies and WAS Development