Hi Mukul,
Thanks.
I have followed the steps you suggested in using jave -Djava.endorsed.dirs=...
and jaxp.SourceValidator (although I am using java version "1.8.0_261") but the
validation results are unaffected.
I still get 9 validation violations from test1.xml but none at all from the
essentially identical test2.xml.
Where can we go from here? I can only think of asking you to double check that
both of your test runs are not on the same XML data somehow. (Recall that
test2.xml should have those XML comment lines at lines 40, 158 and 195,
displacing the previously erroneous lines to other line numbers, where they now
seem (in my validation) harmless).
... or do you have any other further suggested steps in order to achieve
consistency from our two sets of results?
Thank you also for the clarification about the characters outside the UTF-8
encoding scheme. I should have thought about those accented letters.

best regards,
John.