Thing is, trillian handles account creation just fine.

My setup is:
Slackware 11
jabberd-2.1.23
gsasl 0.2.9

Client side is: Trillian 3.1 running on Vista

I've run jabber with the -D flag and saved the output to a file:
http://live.dyn-o-saur.com/output

I created a user jabbertest and then tried to logon as it. Creation
successful, login not so much. Personally, I could not really make head/tail
of the debug output.

I only present this info in case you of you has an itch to scratch on this
front, as I'm happy enough to run PSi on my windows box.

Enjoy,
Natasha