Hello.

We've been using SILC for the past couple of years for secure
communication but have finally become tired of the poor client support,
poor server implementation, poor technical support and various other
issues.

We're looking at jabber as a replacement for the SILC server and I'm
basically trying to find out if jabber satisfies the requirements we
have. I'm asking this question here as it seems jabberd2 is the most
conspicuous open server implementation and would likely be the server
we'd be using.

We're just using a single, standalone server for SILC. I'd hope to
be doing the same with jabber.

The requirements are:

1. Strong authentication.

  In SILC, every user and server has a public/private keypair. This
  means that in the server configuration file, you can simply specify a
  list of keys that are allowed access to administration functions.
  There's no "by host" or "by name" authentication.

2. Mandatory encryption.

  All communcation between users on the server and all communication on
  channels must be strongly encrypted. On our network, we also require
  all channel messages to be signed.

3. Persistent "channels" or some equivalent.

  The SILC concept of a channel is more or less identical to the IRC
  concept of a channel. Modes can be set such as invite-only, ops-only,
  etc. One feature that we use extensively is the ability to set a
  whitelist of users that are allowed on the channel. The whitelist is a
  simple list of keys (no matching on usernames or hosts - this is
  critical).

  Currently, due to the complete lack of persistence on the SILC server,
  we have to use a custom "service" that essentially connects and races
  with users to set up channels before somebody else can. It's pretty
  pathetic.

4. Client support.

  At first glance, it seems everything that supports SILC also supports
  jabber, so I don't think this'll be a problem.

Any ideas if all of the above are achievable?

Thanks.