>Dnia 2012-10-13, sob o godzinie 22:37 +1100, James Wilson pisze:
>> Just thought of this: if you use an 'auto-config' type setting
>> perhaps we could take a 'Bonjour' like route in that each server
>>broadcasts within its local IP range / subnet for other XMPP servers
>> and makes a live, real time list of available instances.
>
>Cool idea.
>
>Along these lines, I was also thinking some time ago about putting all
>router instances on RFC 3259 [1] Mbus wire [2].
>This would greatly simplify binding and routing.
>
>[1] http://www.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3259.txt
>[2] http://www.mbus.org/
>

>--
>Tomasz Sterna
>Instant Messaging Consultant : Open Source Developer
>http://tomasz.sterna.tv/  http://www.xiaoka.com/portfolio

mbus looks interesting but potentially brittle. The use of reliable messaging
is quite interesting though.
It could give you the ability for a platform neutral way to do service
discovery.

If you used something like Zeroconf you would have to write your own
implementation of it i suspect so you could continue to support all the
platforms you do, unless you use the resident tools like avahi for linux - BSD,
Bonjour for mac, windows is lacking in this and uses uPNP.

You could also look at using SLP, its a bit neglected though.

Interesting thread.

paul