After slow gradual upgrades to JDK baseline, I think time may have come to
move to Java 8 for Jackson 2.9. But before committing to this course, I
want to make sure there is wide agreement on this, as well as on mitigation
plans for users who can not use the new version.

My thinking here is that moving to Java 8 is mostly beneficial, first, in
simplifying use of 3 commonly used add-on modules:

1. jackson-module-parameter-names: Small modules that allows introspection
of creator (constructor, static factory method) parameter names. Easy to
just embed
2. jackson-datatype-jdk8: Optional and related types. Medium-size, probably
easiest to just directly embed
3. jackson-datatype-jsr310: Java 8 date/time -- big module, need to figure
out if to embed, or to add dependency + auto-registration

Use of Java 8 language features would also be nice but I am not yet sure
how to proceed with API changes. It may make sense to first add support for
JDK 8 types, and then target API improvements (and implementation usage)
for later.

If this change is made, I think we would want to keep 2.8 branch open for
longer than most other minor branches.
This would probably be most relevant for Android (as usual :), although we
could also consider advocating use of jackson-jr more as an alternative
that has some benefits for Android as well -- and it will remain Java 6
compatible for foreseeable future.
I have also read articles about Android moving towards Java 8 as well so
maybe it's just a question of timing.

At any rate: first things first -- anyone against raising Jackson 2.9
baseline to be Java 8? (if not, there are follow-up aspects to discuss,
esp. wrt Java 8 datatype module).

-+ Tatu +-