It means that `ObjectMapper` is only thread-safe when ALL configuration is
done first, before any usage.
This includes, but is not limited to, configuring default `DateFormat` to
use.
Usage of `DateFormat` itself is synchronized such that this aspect itself
is not problematic, rather, settings of `ObjectMapper` are assumed to be
fixed when first `readValue()` or `writeValue()` is done (*)

So if you do need to be able to change active default `DateFormat` to use,
you need to either create separate `ObjectMapper`s (inefficient but ok if
you have just couple), or use ObjectReader/ObjectWriter. Latter allow
thread-safe creation of differently configured instances and are designed
for more flexible configuration.

You can think of `ObjectMapper` as a factory for creating `ObjectReader`s
and `ObjectWriter`s; with couple of convenience methods as short-cuts.

I hope this helps,

-+ Tatu +-

(*) What happens with any attempted changes after this is undefined, but is
likely one of (1) ignoring new settings, (2) using new settings, (3)
failure in form of exception getting thrown.