On 2016-09-16 17:40, Claudio Scordino wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> when running
>
>       sudo jailhouse enable configs/qemu-vm.cell
>
> I get
>
>       JAILHOUSE_ENABLE: Invalid argument
>
> The tracing console says
>
>       hypervisor/arch/x86/amd_iommu.c:329: returning error -EINVAL
>
> meaning that the following condition fails:
>
>       327  /* Protect against accidental VT-d configs. */
>       328  if (!iommu->amd_bdf)
>
> Therefore, apparently I have misconfigured some setting about AMD IOMMU.
> However, looking at the documentation I have not found any AMD-specific
> setting.
>

> Here is some further information about my configuration:
>
> HOST:
>  - Linux distribution: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
>  - Linux kernel: 4.4.0-36 x86_64
>  - Qemu version: 2.7.0
>
> GUEST:
>  - Linux distribution: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
>  - Linux kernel: 4.4.0-36 x86_64
>  - Kernel boot param: memmap=66M$0x3b000000
>  - Run through the following command: qemu-system-x86_64 -machine q35 -m 1G
> -enable-kvm -smp 4 -cpu
> host,-kvm_pv_eoi,-kvm_steal_time,-kvm_asyncpf,-kvmclock,+x2apic -drive
> file="Mint.vdi",id=disk,if=none -device ide-hd,drive=disk -serial stdio
> -serial vc -s -net user,hostfwd=tcp::22222-:22 -net nic

First of all, there is no IOMMU configured in your qemu command line.

But then the question is if you re running on an AMD host processor. The
qemu-vm.cell is pre-configured for an Intel VM with Intel IOMMU (emulation).

AMD is a different beast. Patches for IOMMU emulation are on their way
upstream but not yet complete for use with Jailhouse. Moreover, KVM has
some bug (or more) when in comes to running Jailhouse as a guest. Fixing
this is long on my to-do list, but there is too much right now.

Long story short: better try on an Intel host when you want it inside
KVM. Running Jailhouse natively on AMD should be fine again (no known
issues ATM).

Jan

--
Siemens AG, Corporate Technology, CT RDA ITP SES-DE