Dear Jan, Valentine,

> On 2016-09-16 17:40, Claudio Scordino wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > when running
> >
> >       sudo jailhouse enable configs/qemu-vm.cell
> >
> > I get
> >
> >       JAILHOUSE_ENABLE: Invalid argument
> >
> > The tracing console says
> >
> >       hypervisor/arch/x86/amd_iommu.c:329: returning error -EINVAL
> >
> > meaning that the following condition fails:
> >
> >       327  /* Protect against accidental VT-d configs. */
> >       328  if (!iommu->amd_bdf)
> >
> > Therefore, apparently I have misconfigured some setting about AMD IOMMU.
> > However, looking at the documentation I have not found any AMD-specific
> setting.
> >

> > Here is some further information about my configuration:
> >
> > HOST:
> >  - Linux distribution: Ubuntu 16.04.1 LTS
> >  - Linux kernel: 4.4.0-36 x86_64
> >  - Qemu version: 2.7.0
> >
> > GUEST:
> >  - Linux distribution: Linux Mint 18 Sarah
> >  - Linux kernel: 4.4.0-36 x86_64
> >  - Kernel boot param: memmap=66M$0x3b000000
> >  - Run through the following command: qemu-system-x86_64 -machine q35 -m
> 1G -enable-kvm -smp 4 -cpu host,-kvm_pv_eoi,-kvm_steal_
> time,-kvm_asyncpf,-kvmclock,+x2apic -drive file="Mint.vdi",id=disk,if=none
> -device ide-hd,drive=disk -serial stdio -serial vc -s -net
> user,hostfwd=tcp::22222-:22 -net nic
> >

> First of all, there is no IOMMU configured in your qemu command line.

I see. BTW, can you please tell me which specific Qemu argument I was
missing ?

> But then the question is if you re running on an AMD host processor. The
> qemu-vm.cell is pre-configured for an Intel VM with Intel IOMMU
> (emulation).
>
> AMD is a different beast. Patches for IOMMU emulation are on their way
> upstream but not yet complete for use with Jailhouse. Moreover, KVM has
> some bug (or more) when in comes to running Jailhouse as a guest. Fixing
> this is long on my to-do list, but there is too much right now.
>
> Long story short: better try on an Intel host when you want it inside
> KVM. Running Jailhouse natively on AMD should be fine again (no known
> issues ATM).

I understand. Therefore, I'm going to use Intel.

However, let me point out that the documentation at
https://github.com/siemens/jailhouse is measleading as it says "The
included system configuration *qemu-vm.c* can be used to run Jailhouse in
QEMU/KVM virtual machine on x86 hosts (*Intel and AMD are supported*).".

Many thanks,

            Claudio